Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pjs pjs is offline

Default End of cell character for searching and replacing in a table?

(Using Word 2003 and Windows XP)

I have a table full of numbers (22.3 88.5 45.7 ...)

I'd like to add a % sign at the end of each (22.3% 88.5% 45.7% ...)

If this were text, I know I could replace ^t with %^t. But I can't find the
caret or other code for the cell end. I tried ^n, which is the column break,
but no luck. I know I could also convert the table to text, do the ^t replace
above, and convert back to a table, but I thought I'd see if there's a
within-table search I could learn.

Thanks,

pjs
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: End of cell character for searching and replacing in a table?

Hi pjs,

To add a % sign at the end of each number in a table cell, you can use the following steps:
  1. Select the table cells that contain the numbers you want to modify.
  2. Click on the "Replace" button in the "Editing" group on the "Home" tab (or press "Ctrl+H" on your keyboard).
  3. In the "Find what" field, type a period (.) followed by a space (this will find all instances of a number followed by a space).
  4. In the "Replace with" field, type %" followed by a space (this will replace the space after each number with a % sign and a space).
  5. Click on the "Replace All" button to replace all instances of the search string with the replacement string.

This should add a % sign at the end of each number in the selected table cells.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi pjs,

The bad news: You can't search for the end.of-cell-marker.

The good news: You probably don't need to.

Select the table or column in which you want to replace.
Search for the paragraph style that's applied (... other formatting might
work as well), leaving "Find what" empty, and put ^&% in "Replace with".

Regards,
Klaus

"pjs" wrote:
(Using Word 2003 and Windows XP)

I have a table full of numbers (22.3 88.5 45.7 ...)

I'd like to add a % sign at the end of each (22.3% 88.5% 45.7% ...)

If this were text, I know I could replace ^t with %^t. But I can't find
the
caret or other code for the cell end. I tried ^n, which is the column
break,
but no luck. I know I could also convert the table to text, do the ^t
replace
above, and convert back to a table, but I thought I'd see if there's a
within-table search I could learn.

Thanks,

pjs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
pjs pjs is offline

Klaus --

Very interesting. Worked like a charm. Two questions:

1) Any idea why you can't search for end of cell characters?

2) Why does ^&% work?

Thanks for the solution,

pjs

"pjs" wrote:
(Using Word 2003 and Windows XP)

I have a table full of numbers (22.3 88.5 45.7 ...)

I'd like to add a % sign at the end of each (22.3% 88.5% 45.7% ...)

If this were text, I know I could replace ^t with %^t. But I can't find
the
caret or other code for the cell end. I tried ^n, which is the column
break,
but no luck. I know I could also convert the table to text, do the ^t
replace
above, and convert back to a table, but I thought I'd see if there's a
within-table search I could learn.

Thanks,

pjs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

1) Any idea why you can't search for end of cell characters?

No ... Seems just like some technical decision that was made way back in
Word 1 or 2 by the designers.
Probably it was just simpler to avoid the complexities that would arise.

2) Why does ^&% work?

When you search for a style or formatting in a table, Word matches the text
cell by cell.
^& in "Replace with" re-inserts the matched text... The only thing left to
do is to add the % sign, to get the result you want.

Thanks for the solution,

You're welcome!
Klaus

New Daddy 2 New Daddy 2 is offline
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Linke View Post
1) Any idea why you can't search for end of cell characters?

No ... Seems just like some technical decision that was made way back in
Word 1 or 2 by the designers.
Probably it was just simpler to avoid the complexities that would arise.

2) Why does ^&% work?

When you search for a style or formatting in a table, Word matches the text
cell by cell.
^& in "Replace with" re-inserts the matched text... The only thing left to
do is to add the % sign, to get the result you want.

Thanks for the solution,

You're welcome!
Klaus
I'm bumping up this old thread for posterity's sake.

The wild card method suggested by Klaus works -- only to some extent.
When you try to replace the "end-of-cell" characters using wild card, "Replace All" replaced not just the "end-of-cell" characters in a table, but all paragraphs marks having the same formatting in the entire document, EVEN IF you've only selected a part of a table. As a result, I had to execute one-by-one replacement, rather than replace-all, to do the job.

The same phenomenon does not occur when you try to add something at the beginning of a cell -- e.g., a $ symbol -- by replacing all.

I have no idea why "Replace All" affects the entire document, not just the selected portion of a table, when used with a wild card search. But something to take into consideration for followers.