Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default More template help needed

I realize that changing a template does not change other
documents created from that template but that wasn't really the question.

Read your post again: that was *precisely* the question.

However, now that you've explained what you meant to say: yes, if you have
documents linked to something, then obviously changing the target will
affect everything that links to that target. That fact that your link target
happens to be a template is irrelevant. This is an unusual way to use
templates and not something you mentioned in your original post.

In this case, the answer is to create a new template and leave the old one
in place. Alternatively, open each of the original documents and unlink
them. Or bulk convert them to PDF.

Seems like this linking was a bad idea in the first place: the mess you now
face is the price you'll have to go on paying for it.

"waybehind" wrote in message
I have to disagree. I realize that changing a template does not change
other
documents created from that template but that wasn't really the question.
In
one solution, we tried linking a word document in the header of the
template.
However, the link is preserved in the new document created from the
template. Threrefore, if we changed the linked document, the new document
subsequently got changed.

"Jezebel" wrote:

Changing a template has no effect on documents already created.

"waybehind" wrote in message
I need some help in find a clean, quick solution.

We have several hundred templates that contain the president's name and
graphic in the header and footer of the templates. Every couple of
years
we
need to change the name and/or graphic. Ideally we would like to
change
this
in one spot and have all the templates change but not the documents
previously created by those templates? Any ideas?

Thanks!