Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default Creating a macro to run a merge and then printing , then save

I would like to create a macro that would

1.) prompt you for the record numbers from the data source (excel), run the
merge
2.) prompt if you want to print, if you do, select the default printer and
then print
3.) prompt if you want to email a copy of the document, if so, ask for
receivers name(s) and send the doc
4.) and then save the file in a given directory with a file name for a
combination of three fields
5.) then close the document.

Can any body help me with this or point me to a site(s) that could show me
how?

Eventually I would like to have another macro that would do the same as this
macro, except step one that would ask you for a list of criteia and then
filter the excel file to those rows and then merge with that info.

The purpose of this document is to create invoices

Thanks,
Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

With so much prompting, I doubt that a macro would be of much benefit over
just using the facilities available via the mailmerge toolbar with the
exception perhaps of the saving the document(s) with names derived from the
data source. For that see the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP
Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you are using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to Separate
Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from that site will
allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename taken
from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

If you really want to try and automate the whole process, you are going to
need to get right up to speed on the creation of userforms in Word. To get
started on that, see the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

I would suggest that you will need two list boxes on the userform, one of
which is populated with the records from your data source by the initialize
event of the user form and the other one is used as a repositry for the
records that you select from the first list box by double clicking on the
ones that you want to include in the merge. You would need the facility to
remove a record from the second list box in case it was added by mistake.
You would also a checkboxes on the form that would be used to indicate if
letters were to be emailed and a command button that would execute the
merging (not necessarily by the use of mailmerge) of the data from each
record into the letters that you want to create.

Not really a job for a beginner, but a worthwhile project to get started on
if you really want to learn.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.