Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Default Word 2007/Excell 2007 - random loss of field contents on mailm

Thank you Peter. Once again you have been very helpful.

--
John R.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Content Controls are new in Word 2007, so I guess you may be thinking of
an earlier technology in Word 2000 - perhaps forms controls etc.

For content controls etc. there are various places you could start, e.g.
for "doing what mailmerge does" you could try

http://blogs.msdn.com/erikaehrli/arc...tionPart1.aspx

or you could go to http://msdn.microsoft.com and search for either

word content controls
or
word content controls mailmerge

and see what turns up.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

John wrote:
Thank you for your help Peter. You rcomments are very useful.

I think, for now, I will try to put a few dummy rows in the database while I
research and test what other methods I might want to change to for the future.

I wonder if you could point me in the direction of "How to" sources
regarding your last paragraph instead of using Mailmerge to put data in
the document, automate
the document to get data from Excel and insert it. NB, the "modern",
Office 2007 way to do that involves Content Controls and a thing called
the XML data store.

I am unfamilar with the XML data store. I played briefly with Content
Controls in Word 2000, but not yet had time in 2007.

Any sources on this subject would be helpful. Knowledge base is practically
useless and so far the books I have come across are basic info.

I will read the link you posted and see what further info I can pick up from
it.

Again, thank you for spending so much time with my problem and offering so
many choices to consider.

John