Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

Default How prevent auto style change when backspc/del between pars

Often when I delete or backspace between paragraphs in a Word document (when
merging two paragraphs, or deleting/adding copy etc.) the previous paragraph
suddenly "jumps" to a style I have no desire to use, e.g. becomes 12 pt Times
instead of 10 pt Arial, etc. It's easy to change once or twice but quickly
becomes bothersome when it has to be repeated constantly. How can I prevent
this from happening?
Word 2000 9.0.6926 SP-3

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Andrew

Andrew B wrote:
Often when I delete or backspace between paragraphs in a Word document (when
merging two paragraphs, or deleting/adding copy etc.) the previous paragraph
suddenly "jumps" to a style I have no desire to use, e.g. becomes 12 pt Times
instead of 10 pt Arial, etc. It's easy to change once or twice but quickly
becomes bothersome when it has to be repeated constantly. How can I prevent
this from happening?
Word 2000 9.0.6926 SP-3

When you delete a paragraph mark between para A and B, the contents of
para A is supposed to get the same style as that of para B. Are you
observing something different?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

Hi Robert:

I'm working in Normal view, so whatever marks I'm deleting in the process of
amalgamating two paragraphs aren't visible to me. However, normally what
happens is that while I'm operating between two paragraphs - usually if not
always backspacing/deleting to join them up - they both suddenly jump from,
say, Arial 10 point to Times 12 point, for example, when I've removed the
space between them.

As far as I can see it's not a matter of the second paragraph acquiring the
style of the first one or vice versa - they both suddenly jump to a style
neither one of them visibly had before. It's almost as if there's a 'hidden'
style somewhere on the page, one that I've overwritten by manually entering a
different style but that somehow 'lurks' around under the surface and is
released into the light of day when I squeeze two paragraphs into one. It
becomes a real pain when it happens - and has to be fixed - over and over and
over again as I edit documents, which I do a lot as I'm a magazine editor.

I suppose one problem might be that I'm often working with Word docs other
people have sent me, which could have goodness knows how many layers of
styles. I often copy and paste into new docs of my own - maybe I should make
this standard practice? Or would this even necessarily guarantee that the new
doc I create will be purged of any styles but my own?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Andrew

Andrew B wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm working in Normal view, so whatever marks I'm deleting in the process
of
amalgamating two paragraphs aren't visible to me.

If you have nonprinting characters displayed, they are displayed in all
views, including Normal.

"Andrew B" wrote in message
[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Andrew