Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rodger Rodger is offline

Default Radio Buttons and Word Mail Merge

Hello all,

I have a form in Access that has around 60 Yes No radio button questions. I
would like to merge the data with a Word Document but I cannot figure out
how to get the radio buttons on a Word Document.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Rodger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

if you just need to print thngs that look like "pressed" or "unpressed"
buttons depending on the value of a YesNo field (or another type of field,
try the following:

Let's suppose your field is called "q1" and you have already created a
mailmerge main document and connected it to your data source. Let's suppose
for the moment that you have used a YesNo field to store it.

Insert the following nested fields in your document. Each pair of {} needs
to be the special field code braces that you can insert using ctrl-F9 - you
can't just type them.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD q1 }" = "False" "unpressed button character" "pressed
button character" }

This assumes that you are using Word 2002/2003/2007 and have not altered the
way it connects to Access. if you are using DDE (the default in Word
97/2000) or ODBC, then you need

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD q1 }" = "0" "unpressed button character" "pressed
button character" }

Or if for example you are just using a text field with Y and N for "True"
and "False", use

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD q1 }" = "N" "unpressed button character" "pressed
button character" }

At this point, when you preview the merge, you should be seeing the text
unpressed button character
or
pressed button character

depending on the value in q1.

Now use Alt-F9 to display the field codes again, and either
a. locate suitable characters in Insert Symbol (for example Wingdings 161
and 164, Wingdings2 154 and 158, etc.) and insert them instead of the texts
unpressed button character and pressed button character or
b. insert suitable images instead

Make sure the characters are displaying at the size you need, then
copy/paste your nested mergefields and change the field name q1 to q2 for
the next button, and so on.

Peter Jamieson

Then select insert the "q1" field (there are different ways to do this
depending on the version of Word and so on, but if you can't work it out,
a. press ctrl-F9 to create a pair of the special "field code braces" {}
(you can't just type them)
b. type MERGEFIELD "q1" between the braces to give you

{ MERGEFIELD "q1" }

Select the field and press F9 to update it, then Alt-F9 to display the
result. Make sure you're seeing a preview result, not q1.

Notice what
"Rodger" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have a form in Access that has around 60 Yes No radio button questions.
would like to merge the data with a Word Document but I cannot figure out
how to get the radio buttons on a Word Document.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Rodger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rodger Rodger is offline

OK sounds good I will give that a try otherwise they will just have to get
this report from Access . . . .