Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Setting the default filename when saving Word documents

The problem could be that you somehow have saved Normal.dot with the street
address string inserted in the Title field in the Properties dialog box. Try
this:

Find and open your Normal.dot (see this article if you need help on how to
find and open Normal.dot:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...cNotBlank.htm).
In Normal.dot, select File Properties Summary tab and clear the Title
field. Click OK. Save and close Normal.dot.

If the Title field is not empty, the contents of that field will be used as
the suggested file name instead of the first words in the document. If the
Title field in your Normal.dot is not empty, all new documents based on
Normal.dot will inherit this Title value.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"weewillystine" wrote:

When I save a Word document the name used to default to the first few words
in the document ... a very useful feature. Now, it seems stuck on the
beginning of my street address ... like maybe from the envelope feature
return address?

How do I get back to the old default?