Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Aamir Aamir is offline

Default two program shortcuts open file with different ext

1. can a shortcut be created with programs like it can for files e.g. can
controlpanel---programs--- default programs---set assortmnts have a
shortcut? set assortments itself does not allow an immediate shortcut

2. sometimes an incoming e-mail has an attachment---when you try to open it,
you get a comment that this file cannot be opened with the present extention,
please select another one from the list that is supported does this mean
that we have to try the supported ones one by one to see which one works?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Aamir wrote:
1. can a shortcut be created with programs like it can for files
e.g. can controlpanel---programs--- default programs---set
assortmnts have a shortcut? set assortments itself does not allow an
immediate shortcut

You can create a Windows shortcut to any file or executable application.

2. sometimes an incoming e-mail has an attachment---when you try to
open it, you get a comment that this file cannot be opened with the
present extention, please select another one from the list that is
supported does this mean that we have to try the supported ones one
by one to see which one works?

It means that you do not have an application associated with the file
extension of the attachment. Save the attachment to the hard drive and open
it from within a compatible application.

Thank you

You are welcome

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Aamir Aamir is offline

Default two program shortcuts open file with different

thanks--you got the bulk of my questions, can I fine tune these with your help:

1.In the example i gave control panel---programs---default programs--set
assortments are you able to link these so that we get a shortcut symol on
"set assortment" on the dek top, and by clicking that we come stright to set
assortments, rather than going seprately through the other three.
There is a shortcut wizard this sseems to work well with files, but not
programs/applications?
Why do you emphasize "windows" shortcuts?

2. I understand that i may not have an extension which is compatible. so i
go to set assortments and change that to something that the table says is
available on the computer--but there are many of these "compatible" ones
also, do i have to go through each one by one to see which one opens the
attachment? what would be the advantage of saving on a hard drive because I
still have to search for a compatible application?

You have already helped me, so after the above i do not plan to bother you
again and again.

Thanks, again

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Aamir wrote:
1. can a shortcut be created with programs like it can for files
e.g. can controlpanel---programs--- default programs---set
assortmnts have a shortcut? set assortments itself does not allow an
immediate shortcut

You can create a Windows shortcut to any file or executable application.

2. sometimes an incoming e-mail has an attachment---when you try to
open it, you get a comment that this file cannot be opened with the
present extention, please select another one from the list that is
supported does this mean that we have to try the supported ones one
by one to see which one works?

It means that you do not have an application associated with the file
extension of the attachment. Save the attachment to the hard drive and open
it from within a compatible application.

Thank you

You are welcome

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need to ask questions on Windows configuration in a forum associated
with your Windows version.

I did not 'emphasise' Windows. It was capitalised because it is a proper
noun.

Windows will not know what to do with files on your hard disc unless their
extensions are recorded in the registry. In the case of Word (the subject of
this forum) re-registering Word should fix its associations, however see
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm

The advantages of saving to the hard drive are twofold.
1. If opened directly from attachments and edited, then in some versions of
Word should you save that file, unless you are very careful the document is
saved to a temporary file location from where it is possible to lose your
work.
2. Word can recognize its own file types regardless of the extension from
the content, thus it will open valid Word documents if selected from the
application. Only if that content is ambiguous will it prompt for a
converter.