Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Mark is offline

Default Q: Sample procedural documentation guidelines?

Hi,

We're documenting some procedures for our department and I was wondering if
anyone can suggest document templates, sample documentation, or document
guidelines for doing such a thing.

I'm thinking of things like
* Best way to outline. when doing an outline, should the levels be I), 1),
A), 1., a. or I), A:, 1:, a. , etc.
* When should I use italics, underline, bold, etc.
* What's the best way to structure the document. Should I put a purpose on
top, should I put anything else on top.
* best way to deal with documenting the path, or pointing out sample
information, or literal information.
* etc...

These procedures would be for normal MS-Office type work (open an Access
database, run some updates, copy files to this excel spreadsheet, send to
this person if something isn't right, etc.)

When I create these documents, I have things in mind as what should be what,
but it always seems "wrong", or the document is overly time-consuming to
build, or just inconsistent.

Any suggestions? I'd like to do this right instead of having to revamp the
document a few months from now.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Sample procedural documentation guidelines?

Most of what you are asking boils down to personal preference. I would
recommend doing some research online to look at SOPs from similar industries
for some basics. I would also recommend creating a style guide because the
next person who updates the policies may not know that you have a set way of
doing something.

BTW, this group doesn't deal with content so you're really on your own.
Having done this for my last employer, I'll wish you good luck and enough
time to finish the job and do it right. (Something I didn't have.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]