Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cyberdude cyberdude is offline

Default Any good books for MS Word?

Hi,

May I ask if there are any good books for MS Word at the intermediate
to advanced level?
Thank you.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

"cyberdude" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

May I ask if there are any good books for MS Word at the intermediate
to advanced level?
Thank you.

David

The F1 Function key is the best...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

Try this.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/default.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...e/default.aspx

I don't like books. If I have to buy one, I'll try to find one written by
an MVP.

Epinn

"cyberdude" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

May I ask if there are any good books for MS Word at the intermediate
to advanced level?
Thank you.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

No. Chuck is correct: the F1 key (Word Help) is the largest, most accurate,
and most up-to-date.

Be aware that if you open the Visual Basic Editor, you switch to a different
"application" and read a different set of Help files. Much of the
"in-depth" and advanced information you need is in there. Even if you are
not using VBA, open the Editor and click in it before opening Help: you will
get the full-strength stuff in there :-)

Cheers

On 26/8/06 12:10 PM, in article
, "cyberdude"
wrote:

Hi,

May I ask if there are any good books for MS Word at the intermediate
to advanced level?
Thank you.

David

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Epinn Epinn is offline

John,

Thank you for the VBA tip. Just reading it, I thought "full-strength stuff"
included general word help although you said "Be aware...." But now I
realize as soon as I do ToolsMacrosVisual Basic Editor I am very much
locked in with VBA. There is no linking back to the general help from
there.

I am glad that you support F1. I use it a lot. At the end of each piece of
help info, there is this question "Was this information helpful?" I
appreciate the fact that I can submit my comments on top of answering "Yes,"
"No," or "I don't know." One time I found a mistake with the help info and
I posted my concern on the newsgroup. One MVP saw it, and emailed Microsoft
about the error. Then I was told that the error was on the "to be fixed"
list. I don't think we can have a channel as efficient as this with the
book publisher. So, I totally agree with your comments of "most accurate
and most up-to-date."

For people who like a combination of audio and visual, the demos are great.
In my previous post, I included a link for the training sessions (which is
part of help) but organized differently. I like the fact that there are
exercises after the lessons for me to practise.

If I have any questions, I post on the newsgroup. I have a team of MVP
experts to help me.

Last but not least, we don't have to pay for any of this once we have bought
the software.

All in all, I have taken learning outside of the box.

Thank you for reading.

Epinn

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Hi,

May I ask if there are any good books for MS Word at the intermediate
to advanced level?
Thank you.

David

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Epinn:

On 27/8/06 9:54 PM, in article ,
"Epinn" wrote:

Thank you for the VBA tip. Just reading it, I thought "full-strength stuff"
included general word help although you said "Be aware...." But now I
realize as soon as I do ToolsMacrosVisual Basic Editor I am very much
locked in with VBA. There is no linking back to the general help from
there.

Ah, yes there is. Sorry, I can't tell you just where, the PC is not running
as I write this. However, in the Help Options for the main program, there's
an option (or used to be) to "Display General help when programming" of some
such. Turn that on and the Search will search both sets of help files.

I am glad that you support F1. I use it a lot. At the end of each piece of
help info, there is this question "Was this information helpful?" I
appreciate the fact that I can submit my comments on top of answering "Yes,"
"No," or "I don't know." One time I found a mistake with the help info and
I posted my concern on the newsgroup. One MVP saw it, and emailed Microsoft
about the error. Then I was told that the error was on the "to be fixed"
list. I don't think we can have a channel as efficient as this with the
book publisher. So, I totally agree with your comments of "most accurate
and most up-to-date."

Whereas *I* turn off the "Search online help" mechanism. It's probably OK
in the USA, but in other parts of the world, it makes the Help respond
extremely slowly.

For people who like a combination of audio and visual, the demos are great.
In my previous post, I included a link for the training sessions (which is
part of help) but organized differently. I like the fact that there are
exercises after the lessons for me to practise.

In the "Next" version of the Help, they have promised to enable us to link
to the built-in Help. So I can embed a URL in this post which will open the
Help topic I am discussing in your copy of Word (or go and get it if you
don't have it yet...). Things are indeed getting better by the day...

If I have any questions, I post on the newsgroup. I have a team of MVP
experts to help me.

Last but not least, we don't have to pay for any of this once we have bought
the software.

Oh? You haven't gotten our bill yet?? Well, let me remedy that... Here it
is...

For each question to which you GET the answer in here, we expect you to
answer someone ELSE's question from your knowledge.

That's how you pay for this service...

Just try not to get the answers right too often, otherwise before you know
it, someone will nominate you as an MVP, and there goes the evenings and
weekends... :-)

Cheers