Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
User User is offline

Default Different Header Every Page

I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts a new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next page I
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a section break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can have a
unique header on each page?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well you need to use a Section Break, Next Page inserted at the end of every
page, but you'll end up with hell of a complex document with many, many
sections and many, many different Headers. Think of all that work having to
type a new Header for every page.

Please tell us what you need to put in every header that is different
because there are many ways to automate the Header to change with the page
contents without the need for separate sections.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts a new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
User User is offline

Currently, our solution is to print every two pages to a PDF and then amend
each page, so I'm not too concerned with "all that work" involved. A simple
header override would be a relief at this point!

What I need is a document with a different header on every page. The header
would contain title of each work and author name. There are 185 different
works and most are only 1-2 pages in length.

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts a new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It is easy then. Each title needs to use the Title style (or at least a
style different to any other style used in the document). Then in the
Header, you insert the StyleRef referring to the Title Style. StyleRef will
automatically select the nearest Title Style on that page.

I am going to assume that the authors name is somewhere in their work too
(if it isn't, then make them add it). Again, if the Author uses its own
style, you can simply use the StyleRef to pick up the Author Style.

This method means that you only need one section with one running header
throughout the document.

Terry

news

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts a
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next
page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can
have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
User User is offline

No, this brings me back to my original question and problem.
You are trying to get me to rearrange my project to fit the limitations of
the software. There is no title and author name in the body of the document
to reference which is why it needs to be in the headers and footers. A
simple header override would be really great and a sensible thing to have I
would think instead of making a person format the document the way the
programmers want you to so he can show off all their ornaments.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

It is easy then. Each title needs to use the Title style (or at least a
style different to any other style used in the document). Then in the
Header, you insert the StyleRef referring to the Title Style. StyleRef will
automatically select the nearest Title Style on that page.

I am going to assume that the authors name is somewhere in their work too
(if it isn't, then make them add it). Again, if the Author uses its own
style, you can simply use the StyleRef to pick up the Author Style.

This method means that you only need one section with one running header
throughout the document.

Terry

news

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts a
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next
page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can
have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think we're just having a hard time imagining an anthology of this nature
that does not have the title or author's name anywhere other than in the
header. Usually such collections would have the title and author on the
first page of the selection (with no header) and then the author and title
repeated in the running head throughout the section.

What you're doing is something different, but if each selection is only one
page long, then there's not much point in having this information in the
header at all. Why not just make the top margin smaller and put the title
and author in the document body at the top of the page?

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

It is easy then. Each title needs to use the Title style (or at least a
style different to any other style used in the document). Then in the
Header, you insert the StyleRef referring to the Title Style. StyleRef
will
automatically select the nearest Title Style on that page.

I am going to assume that the authors name is somewhere in their work too
(if it isn't, then make them add it). Again, if the Author uses its own
style, you can simply use the StyleRef to pick up the Author Style.

This method means that you only need one section with one running header
throughout the document.

Terry

news

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next
page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a
section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can
have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
User User is offline

I have a hard time understanding why I have to explain the merits and
rationale concerning this project instead of getting my question answered in
a direct way.

Do a Google search on this subject and see how many hundreds of others are
lamenting this same problem without getting any answers from all the way back
to Word 97.

I find it somewhat offensive for all of the suggestions to offer nothing but
criticism for the way this particular project is to be laid out. It's not
as though I bought a soccer ball and I am complaining that it doesn't perform
like a football. It seems to make sense to me that automated tasks in any
software should have an override.

To answer your question as to why I would want to use headers at all
concerns the table of contents.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

It is easy then. Each title needs to use the Title style (or at least a
style different to any other style used in the document). Then in the
Header, you insert the StyleRef referring to the Title Style. StyleRef
will
automatically select the nearest Title Style on that page.

I am going to assume that the authors name is somewhere in their work too
(if it isn't, then make them add it). Again, if the Author uses its own
style, you can simply use the StyleRef to pick up the Author Style.

This method means that you only need one section with one running header
throughout the document.

Terry

news Currently, our solution is to print every two pages to a PDF and then

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it inserts
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL next
page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a
section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I can
have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
st st is offline

"user" wrote in message

I have a document that I need different headers for each page.

Define two paragraph styles, (for example) AuthorRefSrc and OpusRefSrc, make them white and 2pt height. Enter and markup corresponding text on the first page of each article. Make just 1 section for all 185+ articles and put references to those styles into header. Having 180+ sections in document is somewhat counterproductive...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Frankly I am having a hard time imagining why when you have such an attitude
problem you feel that fellow users would be willing to continue helping you.
This is a user peer group, not Microsoft's help desk!

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it
inserts a
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a
section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so
I can have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

How do you expect Word to automatically add the User to a Header if the user
name is not in the document. Word is not clairvoyant.

If you have the original document that the each user created, then adding
the Author Field to the document (before it is combined with other
documents) will indicate who created the each document. You will then need
to Unlink all the author fields before combining the documents together.
This can be done automatically with code.

And surely, users can add a title using the TITLE Style? The effort is
miniscule.

However, reading your posts suggests to me that you need to get a Word
developer to come and automate this process for you. Word will do everything
you want but it needs some preparatory work to automate it.

Terry

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it
inserts
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL
next
page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a
section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I
can
have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Now I'm really confused as to how headers can be related to the TOC (which
is based on headings).

Note, however, that what we're trying to do here is not to defend Word's
existing features but to help you use them in the most logical, efficient
way. I guess our understanding of your project is defective.

"user" wrote in message
I have a document that I need different headers for each page.
I have been trying to use section breaks (next page) but it
inserts
new
blank page into the document and doesn't apply it to the ACTUAL
next
page
need the section break at.

Do I have to start from scratch or is there a way to insert a
section
break
into a document so I can unlink the Link To Previous option so I
can
have
unique header on each page?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Me too now. Are we talking Headers or Headings?

Please explain again as we may be misunderstanding what you want or mean.

Terry