Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Default Find/ replace multi-line segments?

How large is that text file? Sounds as if some character (maybe ^12) is
interpreted as a "new page".

Maybe Word is the wrong tool.
Word is designed to work well with your typical text file.

If it's a huge binary file with lots of control characters -- and especially
if there aren't paragraph marks every couple of characters -- Word a hell
of a time dealing with it.

You could maybe still use VBA (from Word) to open the file and deal with the
content (either to process the contents directly, or to strip out weird
stuff so Word can then deal with it)... say using

Dim vFile as Variant
Dim myFSO
Set myFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim myTextStream
Set myTextStream = myFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\myFolder\myFile.txt",
ForReading, True)
vFile = myTextStream.ReadAll()

(add a reference to the "Microsoft Scripting Runtime" in the VBA editor,
"Tools References....", for this example)

.... and then use the VBA string functions on vPool.

I used a Variant so it's easy to use Split/Filter/Join directly.

After you've filtered/parsed/massaged the text, you can insert the result
into a new document.

Regards,
Klaus

"JButkus" wrote:

Aha, that worked like a charm. Of course, come to find out I was wrong
again... the whole 3,000 pages thing was just Word being wonky and not
giving the right data. The actual total, once all was converted to a
doc, came to a mind-blowing 17,238 pages, give or take a couple lines.
It's been saving for about an hour now, still not finished. I'm going to
have a hell of a time tomorrow trying to get that thing reformatted, but
at least the values are changed (for the first one) and I'll be set for
the rest of this project. Thanks!

--
JButkus