Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HomeSavvy HomeSavvy is offline

Default Full single bibliography entry in footnote

Hi All, could anyone tell me how to insert an entire bibliography entry into
a footnote. I do not want a citation but the entire source in bibliography
style, however, I obviously don't want the entire bibliography in a
footnote...just whichever I am citing on that page.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I'm assuming you are talking about the Word 2007 bibliography feature. If
so, there is no direct way to achieve what you want. By playing around with
the flags, and manipulating the xslt, you can get around most of the
limitations though. If you have at least some xslt knowledge, post a follow
up message and I will provide you with some pointers on how to achieve what
you want.

If by any chance, you have the 'luck' to work with Word 2008 (for Mac), you
can try adding your citation twice, once inside your text, and once as a
footnote. You can then create a character style which has the font set to
hidden and apply it to every footnote reference in your text.

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com

"HomeSavvy" wrote in message
Hi All, could anyone tell me how to insert an entire bibliography entry
into
a footnote. I do not want a citation but the entire source in
bibliography
style, however, I obviously don't want the entire bibliography in a
footnote...just whichever I am citing on that page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HomeSavvy HomeSavvy is offline

Yves, thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with xslt, but I am a quick
study. If you wouldn't mind giving me the pointers maybe I could use those
to do a bit of research and get this done. I really appreciate it.

"HomeSavvy" wrote in message
Hi All, could anyone tell me how to insert an entire bibliography entry
into
a footnote. I do not want a citation but the entire source in
bibliography
style, however, I obviously don't want the entire bibliography in a
footnote...just whichever I am citing on that page.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Okay.

The stylesheets responsible for generating the in-text citations and the
bibliography, are located in the

winword.exe\Bibliography\Style

directory. On a 32-bit system, with the default installation, that is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography\Style

Before you start working on one of those stylesheets, you best take a copy
of the one you want to edit. To ensure it shows up with a different name in
Word, see http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ#Q8

Now how the stylesheets work? In case of a citation, the stylesheet receives

b:Citation
!-- some i18n information --
!-- some extra information provided through field flags --
b:Source
!-- the actual material --
/b:Source
/b:Citation

What you want to do is abuse the extra information provided through field
flags. For example, you could use the \v flag. When you receive a b:Citation
containing extra volume information, you then will know that the citation
should actually be formatted as a bibliography entry.

Now, in case of bibliographies, the stylesheet receives

b:Bibliography
!-- some i18n information --
!-- some extra information provided through field flags --
b:Source
!-- the actual material --
/b:Source
b:Source
!-- the actual material --
/b:Source
b:Source
!-- the actual material --
/b:Source
/b:Bibliography

So basically the same as in a citation but with multiple sources and wrapped
in a b:Bibliography element instead of a b:Citation one.

So what you would do is whenever you get a b:Citation element, check for the
v flag, and if it is available, transform the b:Citation into a
b:Bibliography and let the stylesheet process that one. That way, the
stylesheet will output bibliography information instead of citation
information.

An example style where I once worked with this type of flag abuse can be
found at http://bibword.codeplex.com/releases/view/20331 . Note that it
works completely differently from the Word styles.

"HomeSavvy" wrote in message
Hi All, could anyone tell me how to insert an entire bibliography entry
into
a footnote. I do not want a citation but the entire source in
bibliography
style, however, I obviously don't want the entire bibliography in a
footnote...just whichever I am citing on that page.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I just realized I read your original post incorrectly. I had the idea that
you needed both in-text citation and footnote citation but it seems you need
only footnote citations. If you can do without in-text citations, you can
actually do what you want in a pretty straightforward way without having to
mess with flags or anything.

Once you created a copy and renamed your style
(http://bibword.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ#Q8), look for

xsl:when test="b:Citation"

Remove that entire element, that is everything till you reach the balanced
closing tag

/xsl:when

Just below it, you will see

xsl:when test="b:Bibliography"

Change that line into

xsl:when test="b:Bibliography or b:Citation"

Save the stylesheet, restart Word. Now when you insert a citation, it will
format as a bibliography entry.

Yves