Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brent E

Default Using Access on Company Intranet

Good morning,

I am curious if there is a way to easily use Access as either a model or as
a front end for a company directory on our company Intranet? I found a really
good post by searching in the archives under €śCan I put an existing database
on a website?€ť, and the solution was really good for remote and portable
access to a local machine from different locations, but I dont think that
will work in our scenario.

(There may also be a quick €śOff the shelf€ť program we could purchase that
would do this quickly and easily as well. I would be very open to that also.)
What I need to do is this.

We currently have a company intranet that we are about to roll out, but in
my opinion is sort of basic. We primarily have areas to download documents,
resource center for our company links and resources, company calendar, News
and Events, etc. But I would really like to include a company directory. I
know how to build one that will suite our needs in Access, but Ive got a few
concerns about that:

1. I only know how to use and run an Access database on a local machine.

2. I want the directory to be web based so that all of our people may be
able to access
and use the directory w/out having Access installed on their system.

3. I know Access can tend to bog down w/ large amounts of data, or in
processing numerous requests, thus we may need to convert the directory to
some sort of Access Page front end, but use SQL, Citrix or something for the
data processing.

So I have a couple questions:
1. Is there an easy way to use Access to solve the business problem, or is
Access not the best tool in this case?

2. Does anybody know of an Off the shelf program we can purchase that can
help me build a web driven database, and that can import tables or
relationships from Access?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim in Ottawa

All of the above can be done, however you may need to buy the server version
of Access plus the server software (expensive). Very complex subject for
discussions here in a Word forum.

A simpler solution for a company directory is to develop a report in Access
that spits out your directory as html, then just replace the file being
served up for your website. This can be done quite automatically on a daily
basis.

Access is quite powerful, our printing company runs on it, with many people
using it simultaneously.

"Brent E" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brent E

Thanks for the ideas, Tim. I appreciate the assitance. I didn't realize I was
in a Word Group. I meant to post in an Access Group. I will also post the
question in an Access room. Sorry for the confusion, Susanne.

Tim: those are some good ideas. Access Server would be cool, only I am not
sure if we would have the budget or the business need to justify that
investment. Also, I am pretty familiar w/ Access, but I would feel clueless
as to what Access Server can do or how to synch that up to our web server.

I would like to hear more about how to develop a report in Access
that spits out your directory as html? Thanks.
I would

"Brent E" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim in Ottawa

Brent, I'm only a casual Access end-user, so for all I know Access may
automatically generate html reports these days (I wouldn't be surprised).
However, several years ago I made an Access report that produced html.

On your report form, you just put your html codes in amongst the fields that
will be used, and then save your report as a text file. If done properly your
text file will be a web page. Start by using an html editor to format a
couple of lines of your data as you would like it to appear in a web browser.
Then view the html code and you will be able to figure out where to put the
html codes in your report (don't forget all the starting code that starts up
a web page before it gets to the data, plus the code that finishes off a
page). I have done all this same stuff with Excel by putting html in the
columns between the actual data.

I know, great idea! Use Word as your html editor. See Suzanne! This is
related to Word! Good luck Brent.