lvee

Default highlight and delete text word 2002

I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word, but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated that all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

Daiya Mitchell

What happens when you try?

In Tools | Options, Edit, ensure "typing replaces selection" is checked.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

lvee

Hi, Daiyana, thanks for responding.
'typing replaces selection' is selected, and when I try to delete text, the
text becomes underlined in a green, squiggly line, but nothing is deleted.

.. .

On 9/2/05 6:47 AM, "lvee" wrote:

I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out
how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the
delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word,
but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated that
all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

lvee

Okay, I just tried using the 'Del' key, rather than the 'delete' key, which
by the way is something that I tried several times without success, but this
time it worked. What is the difference between the two keys?

On 9/2/05 6:47 AM, "lvee" wrote:

I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out
how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the
delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word,
but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated that
all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

lvee

sorry to keep adding to the post, but I noticed when I do use the del key,
which also acts as a period when text is not highlighted, is does delete all
text, except it leaves a period (.) at what would be the start of the
sentence.

On 9/2/05 6:47 AM, "lvee" wrote:

I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out
how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the
delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word,
but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated that
all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Charles Kenyon

The key you are referring to is a part of the numeric keypad and you have
NumLock turned on. So, it is a decimal point (period). Likewise, the Home
key on that keypad is a 7. So it is typing a period and replacing your
selected text with the period.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

On 9/2/05 6:47 AM, "lvee" wrote:

I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out
how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the
delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word,
but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated that
all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

That's because you're actually replacing the text with a period ("Typing
replaces selection"). To deal with this (different) problem, on the General
tab of Tools | Options, clear the check boxes for both items that refer to
WordPerfect. These are two separate issues, and both Daiya and Charles
jumped on the wrong solution (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...DeleteText.htm).

On 9/2/05 6:47 AM, "lvee" wrote:

I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out
how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the
delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word,
but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated

that
all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

lvee

Thank you all for getting a solution, and sorry I didn't post back until
now, had to work 2 jobs today. I figured out the solution but didn't have
time to fill you in. I asked a customer about the num lock thing, and he
told me exactly what Suzanne suggested, and as far as the Word Perfect
thing, well, I found that by accident, but was not sure until reading your
post that I had indeed found the cause. I was checking all the options,
stumbled on the Word Perfect setting and since I don't have Word Perfect, I
deselected it. I made a few other changes, opened Word, and was able to
highlight and delete text, but I wasn't sure which change I made was the one
I was looking for.
SO, thanks again, I appreciate your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the General tab of Tools | Options, clear the check boxes for both
items
that refer to WordPerfect.

so
all may benefit.

"lvee" wrote in message
I have windows xp, a Dell bundled with Word 2002, and cannot figure out

how
to delete text in a document by merely highlighting and pressing the

delete
button.
I don't use, nor understand most of the tools & customizations in Word,

but
it seems to me that highlighting and deleting should be a very basic
function. I searched Google, and everything that I found indicated that

all
I need to do is highlight and delete, but it doesn't work that way.
So, any insight would be appreciated.

lvee

Thanks for your help, and particularly the links you posted, much
appreciated.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...