Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Let's hear it for capital I

So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time to
time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a portable
device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently on a normal
keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps now and then? And
this in exchange for greater readability. Should we start a movement to
protect an endangered species?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can handle a lower case I but it's the text shorthand that drives me nuts!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message ...
So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time to
time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a portable
device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently on a normal
keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps now and then? And
this in exchange for greater readability. Should we start a movement to
protect an endangered species?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Ballou Paul Ballou is offline

You will find stupid spelling mistakes are fast becoming the normal thing
not just on the internet in the workplace as well at least where I work...I
interpret spelling mistakes or have to track down techs several times a day
to deal with a communication issue with notes on a particular job...

You just accept it or you are going to go crazy stressing over it.....

--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

Life would be easier if we could view the source code

wrote in message ...
So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time to
time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a portable
device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently on a normal
keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps now and then? And
this in exchange for greater readability. Should we start a movement to
protect an endangered species?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I blame it on laziness. No one cares if something is spelled right. It's one
thing to have an occasional typo but for heaven's sake! Spell check will
catch most problems. (I say most because sometimes I type a bit too fast for
my brain to actually read what I wrote and then hit that "ignore" button
instead of "change".)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time
to time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a
portable device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently
on a normal keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps
now and then? And this in exchange for greater readability. Should
we start a movement to protect an endangered species?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When I proofread (and I try to proofread everything I write) I sometimes
find the oddest things. Occasionally it seems my brain is rushing so far
ahead of my fingers that I type a word that sounds something like the one I
was aiming for but has an entirely different meaning.

.. .

wrote in message
So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time
to time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a
portable device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently
on a normal keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps
now and then? And this in exchange for greater readability. Should
we start a movement to protect an endangered species?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

From another perspective -

I don't know that is is 'laziness' so much as it is 'reinforcement of bad
habits' by features such as AutoCorrect. Most people are so accustomed to
having things done for them that they simply lose sight of the fact that not
*all* programs work the same way... In fact, many don't have any idea how
miserably poor their spelling/grammar/typing is because they no longer see
most of their mistakes.

I liken it to the phenomenon of your local fast-food folks not being able to
give you the correct change unless the register [read: computer] tells them
how much it should be.

The more one relies on a crutch the more dependent on that crutch one
becomes - the original concept of 'slippery slope' if I'm not mistaken :-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/20/06 2:19 AM, in article ,
"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

I blame it on laziness. No one cares if something is spelled right. It's one
thing to have an occasional typo but for heaven's sake! Spell check will
catch most problems. (I say most because sometimes I type a bit too fast for
my brain to actually read what I wrote and then hit that "ignore" button
instead of "change".)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

My brain works *much* faster than my fingers do. And even tho I watch my
hands when I type, I still type funny.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
When I proofread (and I try to proofread everything I write) I sometimes
find the oddest things. Occasionally it seems my brain is rushing so far
ahead of my fingers that I type a word that sounds something like the one
was aiming for but has an entirely different meaning.

so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time
to time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a
portable device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently
on a normal keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps
now and then? And this in exchange for greater readability. Should
we start a movement to protect an endangered species?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

You have my vote. Readability is everything and that means using correct
upper or lower cases as needed. Just like good punctuation aids readability.
What the lazy posters don't appreciate is that he/she is just concerned with
one message thread and therefore readability isn't so important unlike for
those reading dozens of message threads.

Keep up the pressure for decent English.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

wrote in message ...
: So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time to
: time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a portable
: device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently on a normal
: keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps now and then? And
: this in exchange for greater readability. Should we start a movement to
: protect an endangered species?
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Only dozens? ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message ...
: So many posters appear to be too lazy to use the capital I from time to
: time; some don't use it at all. I realise that sending it from a
portable
: device might be ponderous, but many posters are apparently on a normal
: keyboard. How much effort does it take to hold down Caps now and then?
And
: this in exchange for greater readability. Should we start a movement to
: protect an endangered species?
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Goodness! To my surprise this topic created great interest. I'm glad others
share my irritation at the 'don't bother with I' brigade. And yes, there's a
lot of very careless spelling around. I'm guilty of it myself now and then.
My Outlook does at least spell check my emails out and there's often an
accidental typo because of speed. But the small i always strikes me as
deliberate and rather arrogant, or perhaps a pseud attempt to be
'fashionable'.