Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

Default Converet plain text to table

I have a "table" in plain text like this:

1. [name] [surname] 0:36:27
2. [another name] [and surname] 0:46:27
3. [third name] [and surname] 1:03:42
4. [and so one...] 2:04:18

Whe
- After the order number there is an empty space
- Between [name] [surname] there is an empty space
- Between [surname] [time] there are empty spaces and/or tab characters.

Is there a simple way to convert it to a table (I don't know VBA)?

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are the names in square brackets?
Are the numbers at the start of each line included?
In the meantime see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

geotso wrote:
I have a "table" in plain text like this:

1. [name] [surname] 0:36:27
2. [another name] [and surname] 0:46:27
3. [third name] [and surname] 1:03:42
4. [and so one...] 2:04:18

Whe
- After the order number there is an empty space
- Between [name] [surname] there is an empty space
- Between [surname] [time] there are empty spaces and/or tab
characters.
Is there a simple way to convert it to a table (I don't know VBA)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Graham Mayor" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Are the names in square brackets?

No. Just in my sample only

Are the numbers at the start of each line included?

Yes

In the meantime see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

I'm going there right now!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I would start by using wildcards to replace any number of spaces with a tab,
then use Table | Convert | Table to Text, separating at tabs. If the Replace
operation results in multiple tabs between elements, replace those with a
single tab before converting.

"geotso" wrote in message
I have a "table" in plain text like this:

1. [name] [surname] 0:36:27
2. [another name] [and surname] 0:46:27
3. [third name] [and surname] 1:03:42
4. [and so one...] 2:04:18

Whe
- After the order number there is an empty space
- Between [name] [surname] there is an empty space
- Between [surname] [time] there are empty spaces and/or tab characters.

Is there a simple way to convert it to a table (I don't know VBA)?

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
----- --- -- -- -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Just to clarify Suzanne's advice...

After the replace, you will see the list looking like:

[1.] tab [name] tab [surname] tab [0:36:27] return

Then when you select the list and use convert Text to Table choosing the TAB
as the separator, you will have a four column table. If you need the empty
space afterwards, you simply select the column to the right and chose
Insert, Column to the Left (or vice versa).

BTW, if you are ever going to place the table in a spreadsheet, you should
consider changing your order numbering system because it may be confused as
the standard time format (hours:minutes:seconds): it certainly confused me
at first glance.

Terry

"geotso" wrote in message
I have a "table" in plain text like this:

1. [name] [surname] 0:36:27
2. [another name] [and surname] 0:46:27
3. [third name] [and surname] 1:03:42
4. [and so one...] 2:04:18

Whe
- After the order number there is an empty space
- Between [name] [surname] there is an empty space
- Between [surname] [time] there are empty spaces and/or tab characters.

Is there a simple way to convert it to a table (I don't know VBA)?

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
----- --- -- -- -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I would start by using wildcards to replace any number of spaces with a tab,

And what is the expression for this, please?
I've tried " {2,}" (no quotes - starting empty space) and Word (2007) warns
me that the expression is not valid.

then use Table | Convert | Table to Text, separating at tabs. If the Replace
operation results in multiple tabs between elements, replace those with a
single tab before converting.

Once again, what is the expression for "multiple tabs"?
I've tried "^t{2,}" (no quotes) with the same as above results...

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:23:26 +0200, geotso wrote:

then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I would start by using wildcards to replace any number of spaces with a tab,

And what is the expression for this, please?
I've tried " {2,}" (no quotes - starting empty space) and Word (2007) warns
me that the expression is not valid.

That expression works in my copy of Word 2007, and it should work in yours. If
you can't make it work, then try surrounding the space character (but not the
{2,}) in square brackets:

[ ]{2,}

Also, in your initial post you mentioned that the name and time may be separated
by an assortment of spaces and tabs. You can replace the whole lot in one
wildcard search by using the expression

[ ^9]{2,}

That is, the space is still in the brackets, plus the numeric code for a tab
character (see http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm for a list of
codes).

then use Table | Convert | Table to Text, separating at tabs. If the Replace
operation results in multiple tabs between elements, replace those with a
single tab before converting.

Once again, what is the expression for "multiple tabs"?
I've tried "^t{2,}" (no quotes) with the same as above results...

Thank you very much

To search for multiple tabs, use an expression like the one above with the ^9
code, but leave out the space character. As explained in Graham's article, codes
such as ^t and ^p don't work in the Find What box of a wildcard search, only in
the Replace With box (and in both boxes for a non-wildcard search).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I also tried [ ]{2,} and found it didn't work because I'd forgotten to check
"Use wildcards." When I did check it, the expression worked without the
brackets, and it's all too easy to get so wrapped up in figuring out the
right search term that you forget to check the box; I'm guessing that's the
OP did.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
news
[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you use a wildcard expression but forget to check the "Use wildcards" box, it
simply won't find anything. But if the box is checked and the expression isn't
correctly formed according to the wildcard rules, then you get a message box
saying that the search expression isn't valid. From geotso's post, I gathered
that he saw the message box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 13:17:34 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

That expression works in my copy of Word 2007, and it should work in yours. If
you can't make it work, then try surrounding the space character (but not the
{2,}) in square brackets:

[ ]{2,}

It definitely doesn't work

I've tried both suggestions, to no avail...
I've also turned on the "Show all formatting marks" just in case I was wrong
about the empty spaces, and they was really there! I counted 13 dot marks
just between the first surname and his time.

I've also tried the ^s character (non-breaking space), just to receive the
same disappointing error message

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Jay Freedman" climbed to the rostrum and said:
If you use a wildcard expression but forget to check the "Use wildcards" box, it
simply won't find anything. But if the box is checked and the expression isn't
correctly formed according to the wildcard rules, then you get a message box
saying that the search expression isn't valid. From geotso's post, I gathered
that he saw the message box.

I do see the message box, as you said, and I'm pretty sure I check the "use
wildcards" checkbox!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
How very odd! Failing wild cards, you can always just search for two spaces
repeatedly until Find returns no results.

As I said, I've counted 13 empty spaces just in the first row of the list.
Given that the list consists of 364 rows, could you please tell me how many
"two spaces repeatedly" should I found to complete the search?

Furthermore, the problem isn't just the amount of time I'll need for the
specific task. The problem is why the wildcards don't work for me, while
they do work for Jay and Suzanne?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I would actually start by searching for 13 spaces. When all these have been
converted to tabs, search for 12 spaces, and so on. This should require only
a dozen passes.

even so, WILDCARDS DON'T WORK...

(Sorry for I'm yelling, but I'm really mad right now!)

Following your suggestion I made these replacements:

Replace all spaces/tabs occurrences with the string "zzz" (no quotes).
So, I finally end up with something like this:

1. [name] [surname]zzzzzzzzzzzz[time]
2. [other name] [other surname]zzz[time]
3. [and so on]zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[time]

Then, I tried to replace z{3,} with ^t (and yes, the "use wildcards" was
checked*)...
Guess what?
The same ugly "invalid expression" message box!

The solution:
- Give up (or should I say through away?) Word and use UltraEdit Text Editor
instead!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

- Give up (or should I say through away?)

ooops! it should be throw away!
Awful english - awful mood!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, for the search I'm describing, you don't need wildcards. Just search
(without wildcards) for 13 spaces and replace with a tab. Then search for 12
spaces and replace with a tab. Alternatively, if there are no spaces within
the names you want in separate cells, you can just search for ^w (white
space) and replace with ^t.

"geotso" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Send me a sample of the document to the link on my web site so that I can
check that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, however in the
meantime try a search for

([0-9]{1,}.)[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[ ^0160^t]{1,}([0-9])
replace with
\1^t\2^t\3^t\4

with the wildcard option set.

geotso wrote:
- Give up (or should I say through away?)

ooops! it should be throw away!
Awful english - awful mood!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

you (and everyone) can get it from he http://geotso.com/sample.aspx

check that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, however in the
meantime try a search for

([0-9]{1,}.)[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[ ^0160^t]{1,}([0-9])
replace with
\1^t\2^t\3^t\4

with the wildcard option set.

The same "invalid expression" message box

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are you using English regional settings? If not you will probably have to
use separators associated with your local region. In particular some
languages require a semi colon in place of a comma.

geotso wrote:
then, "Graham Mayor" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Send me a sample of the document to the link on my web site so that
I can

you (and everyone) can get it from he http://geotso.com/sample.aspx

check that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, however in
the meantime try a search for

([0-9]{1,}.)[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[
^0160^t]{1,}([0-9]) replace with
\1^t\2^t\3^t\4

with the wildcard option set.

The same "invalid expression" message box

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I've looked at your document and there is no need for any of this
complication at all. Just use the Replace dialog to Find: ^w and Replace ^t.
No Wildcard needed.

Multiple tabs are recognized as whites space as are the single and multiple
manual spaces. So a single pass does exactly what you need. Once you have
done this, go through the document again before creating the table to
correct the few errors where spaces were missing or an extra space has been
added. These are easy to spot and there are only a few: it will be easier to
correct before conversion than after conversion.

Once you are happy with it, select the list and use the Text to Table
conversion.

If you have missed a mistake (a missing or extra tab) and the table looks
wrong, use UNDO immediately to revert back to the text list to correct the
error before using the Text to Table again.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"geotso" wrote in message
then, "Graham Mayor" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Send me a sample of the document to the link on my web site so that I can

you (and everyone) can get it from he http://geotso.com/sample.aspx

check that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, however in the
meantime try a search for

([0-9]{1,}.)[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[ ]{1,}([A-Za-z]{1,})[
^0160^t]{1,}([0-9])
replace with
\1^t\2^t\3^t\4

with the wildcard option set.

The same "invalid expression" message box

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Graham Mayor" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Are you using English regional settings? If not you will probably have to
use separators associated with your local region. In particular some
languages require a semi colon in place of a comma.

my goodness!!! That's it!!!

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! (Not to mention how much I thank you!!!)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Terry Farrell" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I've looked at your document and there is no need for any of this
complication at all. Just use the Replace dialog to Find: ^w and Replace
^t. No Wildcard needed.

I've tried it and it works just fine. Thank you very much!

However, Graham's last post was the real answer on why wildcards expressions
don't work in my Word, and that's why he owns more thanks than you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are welcome
Glad we got to the bottom of the problem.

geotso wrote:
then, "Graham Mayor" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Are you using English regional settings? If not you will probably
have to use separators associated with your local region. In
particular some languages require a semi colon in place of a comma.

my goodness!!! That's it!!!

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! (Not to mention how much I
thank you!!!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

Default OT: How is this?

It seems that OE you use as newsreader, adds a header "X-RFC2646:
Format=Flowed; Response" in your posts (Graham's post, too) that prevents my
Thunderbird from including the previous messages, along with my answer, when
I post back to you (or to Graham).

Could you please tell me how you edit the headers in OE, or it's a
server-side setting?

Thank you and sorry for the off-topic post...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How is this?

I'm afraid I have no expertise in this area, but at least it explains your
failure to quote. I'm using OE out of the box, with no special settings or
editing of the header.

"geotso" wrote in message
It seems that OE you use as newsreader, adds a header "X-RFC2646:
Format=Flowed; Response" in your posts (Graham's post, too) that prevents
my Thunderbird from including the previous messages, along with my answer,
when I post back to you (or to Graham).

Could you please tell me how you edit the headers in OE, or it's a
server-side setting?

Thank you and sorry for the off-topic post...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Geotso,

Thunderbird usually doesn't have an issue with that.

In Thunderbird check in
Tools=Account Settings=Composition & Addressing
to see if you've turned on the option to

'Automatically quote the original message when replying'

In viewing your message in Thunderbird it's showing Greek (ISO-8859-7) for text encoding.
In viewing in Outlook Express it shows Western Europe (Windows)
but changing didn't stop Thunderbird from including the original message in the reply.

==============
"geotso" wrote in message ...
It seems that OE you use as newsreader, adds a header "X-RFC2646:
Format=Flowed; Response" in your posts (Graham's post, too) that prevents my
Thunderbird from including the previous messages, along with my answer, when
I post back to you (or to Graham).

Could you please tell me how you edit the headers in OE, or it's a
server-side setting?

Thank you and sorry for the off-topic post...
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

When I reply to geotso, my default encoding is Greek; I changed it to
Western European (Windows) for my latest reply just in case that might make
any difference.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"geotso" wrote in message
It seems that OE you use as newsreader, adds a header "X-RFC2646:
Format=Flowed; Response" in your posts (Graham's post, too) that prevents
my
Thunderbird from including the previous messages, along with my answer,
when
I post back to you (or to Graham).

Could you please tell me how you edit the headers in OE, or it's a
server-side setting?

Thank you and sorry for the off-topic post...
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Bob Buckland ?:-)" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Hi Geotso,

Thunderbird usually doesn't have an issue with that.

In Thunderbird check in
Tools=Account Settings=Composition & Addressing
to see if you've turned on the option to

'Automatically quote the original message when replying'

It's turned on alright. After all, as you can see, in this answer TB does
quotes the original messages; and that's because (in my opinion) in your
message's source there isn't the reference "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response".

In viewing your message in Thunderbird it's showing Greek (ISO-8859-7) for text encoding.
In viewing in Outlook Express it shows Western Europe (Windows)
but changing didn't stop Thunderbird from including the original message in the reply.

That confirms once again that the problem is in the reference I said and not
anywhere else...

==============
"geotso" wrote in message ...
It seems that OE you use as newsreader, adds a header "X-RFC2646:
Format=Flowed; Response" in your posts (Graham's post, too) that prevents my
Thunderbird from including the previous messages, along with my answer, when
I post back to you (or to Graham).

Could you please tell me how you edit the headers in OE, or it's a
server-side setting?

Thank you and sorry for the off-topic post...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I note that in the reply in which I changed the format from Greek to Western
European, the header says "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original." See what
happens if you reply to that one.

"geotso" wrote in message
It seems that OE you use as newsreader, adds a header "X-RFC2646:
Format=Flowed; Response" in your posts (Graham's post, too) that prevents
my
Thunderbird from including the previous messages, along with my answer,
when
I post back to you (or to Graham).

Could you please tell me how you edit the headers in OE, or it's a
server-side setting?

Thank you and sorry for the off-topic post...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I note that in the reply in which I changed the format from Greek to Western
European, the header says "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original." See what
happens if you reply to that one.

I'm afraid the same

(I was already aware that this reference acts the same way, but I hadn't
mentioned it till now, as it doesn't appear in the current situation -the
posts I've mentioned as example).

Well, thank you very much for your time. As about the problem I'll see what
can I do with the guys from Mozilla/Thunderbird discussion group, where I've
posted the problem too.

Thanks again...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It may well have to do with OE's nonconforming use of the -- for signatures.
I forget the details, but there's possibly something about an extra space
after the hyphens signaling the end of the message? I've removed the space
from this message. Does that make a difference?

"geotso" wrote in message
then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I note that in the reply in which I changed the format from Greek to
Western European, the header says "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original."
See what happens if you reply to that one.

I'm afraid the same

(I was already aware that this reference acts the same way, but I hadn't
mentioned it till now, as it doesn't appear in the current situation -the
posts I've mentioned as example).

Well, thank you very much for your time. As about the problem I'll see
what can I do with the guys from Mozilla/Thunderbird discussion group,
where I've posted the problem too.

Thanks again...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

wow!

I have never heard about it before!
And yes! that's it!

"geotso" wrote in message
then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I note that in the reply in which I changed the format from Greek to
Western European, the header says "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original."
See what happens if you reply to that one.

I'm afraid the same

(I was already aware that this reference acts the same way, but I hadn't
mentioned it till now, as it doesn't appear in the current situation -the
posts I've mentioned as example).

Well, thank you very much for your time. As about the problem I'll see
what can I do with the guys from Mozilla/Thunderbird discussion group,
where I've posted the problem too.

Thanks again...

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
----- --- -- -- -
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, short of remembering to remove the space from the signature every time
I post (or using a different newsreader), I don't guess there's much I can
do; this is a "bug" in OE that the OE MVPs have been hammering MS about for
years.

"geotso" wrote in message
then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I note that in the reply in which I changed the format from Greek to
Western European, the header says "X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original."
See what happens if you reply to that one.

I'm afraid the same

(I was already aware that this reference acts the same way, but I hadn't
mentioned it till now, as it doesn't appear in the current
situation -the posts I've mentioned as example).

Well, thank you very much for your time. As about the problem I'll see
what can I do with the guys from Mozilla/Thunderbird discussion group,
where I've posted the problem too.

Thanks again...

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
geotso
----- --- -- -- -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, short of remembering to remove the space from the signature every time
I post (or using a different newsreader), I don't guess there's much I can
do; this is a "bug" in OE that the OE MVPs have been hammering MS about for
years.

Cured with OEQuotefix AFAIR....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso[_2_] geotso[_2_] is offline

then, "Gordon" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, short of remembering to remove the space from the signature
every time I post (or using a different newsreader), I don't guess
there's much I can do; this is a "bug" in OE that the OE MVPs have
been hammering MS about for years.

Cured with OEQuotefix AFAIR....

which, is only used (as far as I can presume from my experience) by less
than 1% of the OE users.

The good news are that Windows mail (Vista) isn't infected from the disease
(at least in this area )