Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
TerryTutor TerryTutor is offline

Default table identifier

When creating a table of figures, under the options button, there is a choice
for "Table Identifier" that alphabetically lists from A to Z. Does anybody
know what this is for? Default for me is F for some reason, but regardless
of what I choose, I see no difference.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you're using table entry (TC) fields, you can include an \f switch in the
field that specifies which TOC the entries go in. The default for the TOF
(which is just a specific kind of TOC) is F. The Help topic "Field codes:
TOC (Table of Contents) field" lists all these switches.

"TerryTutor" wrote in message
When creating a table of figures, under the options button, there is a
choice
for "Table Identifier" that alphabetically lists from A to Z. Does
anybody
know what this is for? Default for me is F for some reason, but
regardless
of what I choose, I see no difference.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
TerryTutor TerryTutor is offline

Thanks Suzanne. I am using Word 2007 - putting in a table of figures. I
clicked on the options to see what was there. From what I have found out so
far, the table indentifier enables the user to set a table identifier code,
which Word uses to identify that table of figures... so the A, B, C, refers
to different field switches in this context?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're using table entry (TC) fields, you can include an \f switch in the
field that specifies which TOC the entries go in. The default for the TOF
(which is just a specific kind of TOC) is F. The Help topic "Field codes:
TOC (Table of Contents) field" lists all these switches.

"TerryTutor" wrote in message
When creating a table of figures, under the options button, there is a
choice
for "Table Identifier" that alphabetically lists from A to Z. Does
anybody
know what this is for? Default for me is F for some reason, but
regardless
of what I choose, I see no difference.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes. You can can have as many TOCs in a document as you want, and you can
specify what they contain by including different styles, including only a
bookmarked section, or including only entries that contain a specific
switch. The same is true (on a more limited basis, since styles aren't used)
for indexes. More about some of this at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm