LeiLani

Default Numbering within Document

Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you could have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A and B would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

Margaret Aldis

Provided Exhibit A and B have been numbered using caption labels or using
autonumbering you can refer to them using Insert References Cross
reference.

Is that what you mean?

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

LeiLani

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for your response that is not exactly what I mean. There are no
attachments to the document. The document is 100 pages long and I have upto
Exhibit ZZ and plan on moving them around but do not want to have to renumber
all of the text. I want to be able to cut and paste and have the Exhibit
Letter update automatically. I tried using the Caption as I already have
numbering in my document for each paragraph. I changed the formatting of my
numbered paragraph but once I used my format painter and reapplied the style
it fixed itself. Is there an easier way or a way I can create a shortcut for
the caption?
--
Thank you in advance,
LeiLani

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

LeiLani

Hi Everyone,

I don't think I was being clear or else I am not understanding so I am going
to attach an example.

Attached hereto and marked as Exhibit D to this Affidavit are true copies
of extracts from the Examination for Discovery of [name] in Action No.
S[action number], held on February 25, 2004.

The above paragraph is from my document, I want to make the "D" in Exhibit
"D" number automatically so that when I decide to move my paragraphs around
it automatically changes to the next correct letter. (i.e. If I move my
paragraph to where Exhibit H is, it becomes Exhibit and the old Exhibit H
become Exhibit "I"). The Exhibits are not in the document they are actual
documents that are attached when the document is complete.

I hope I made more sense this time.

--
Thank you in advance,
LeiLani

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you

could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

Margaret Aldis

OK, now we're getting somewhere. You're looking for a sequential number to
appear within the paragraph - the number comes from the seqential position,
not picked up from the thing being referred.

You can either use a SEQ field or a LISTNUM field to do this - see help for
details.The SEQ field is probably more reliable because all the details
about the numbering format are held in the field itself - but you'll need to
update fields to see the number update after a move. LISTNUMs automatically
update, but they refer to numbering set up and named using Format Bullets
and Numbering which is trickier to get right.

Once you have the field (and numbering format, for a named LISTNUM) set up,
store the field as AutoText (in fact, store the whole reference "Exhibit
{field} ") so you can insert it quickly and easily where you want it.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, are you using the Insert | Reference | Caption feature to
insert
your captions? If so, then you should be able to use Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference to cross-reference them.

so
all may benefit.

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you

could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A
and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

LeiLani

Hi Margaret,

That is great, we are definately getting somewhere, now I need to ask how to
set up the SEQ. I went to insert - field - numbering - SEQ - options - A,B,C
- add to field and then OK. The response I received was "Error! No sequence
specified". I should also mention that I am working in Word 97 (I know wrong
- but it is what work provides).
--
Thank you in advance,
LeiLani

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, are you using the Insert | Reference | Caption feature to
insert
your captions? If so, then you should be able to use Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference to cross-reference them.

so
all may benefit.

news Hi Margaret,

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you
could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A
and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

You have to specify an identifier for the sequence. It can be anything, but
in this case it would make sense to call it Exhibit. So your SEQ field will
be:

{ SEQ Exhibit \* ALPHABETIC }

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, are you using the Insert | Reference | Caption feature to
insert
your captions? If so, then you should be able to use Insert |

Reference |
Cross-reference to cross-reference them.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

news Hi Margaret,

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if

you
could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B.

(A
and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they

would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

LeiLani

Thank you Suzanne that was what I needed. Thank you, very much.
--
Thank you in advance,
LeiLani

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, are you using the Insert | Reference | Caption feature to
insert
your captions? If so, then you should be able to use Insert |

Reference |
Cross-reference to cross-reference them.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

news Hi Margaret,

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if

you
could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B.

(A
and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they

would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lorrie Lorrie is offline

this string answers my question exactly, but I'm not familiar with it, and
haven't tried it yet. I'd like ot print the instructions. How do I do this?

Thanks, Lorrie

"LeiLani" wrote:

--
Thank you in advance,
LeiLani

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, are you using the Insert | Reference | Caption feature to
insert
your captions? If so, then you should be able to use Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference to cross-reference them.

so
all may benefit.

news Hi Margaret,

"LeiLani" wrote in message
Hello All,

I am in need of assistance, I was wondering if anyone knew if you
could
have
automatic numbering within your paragraphs for example:

1. blah blah blah as referred to in Exhbit A and Exhibit B. (A
and B
would
be numbered so that if the exhibits were moved around they would
automatically change).

Hopefully I am being clear enough.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right-click the frame containing the text and then choose Print from the
context menu.

Note that you can learn more about SEQ fields in Word Help:

Field codes: Seq (Sequence) field
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH061047291033

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"LeiLani" wrote:

--
Thank you in advance,
LeiLani

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, are you using the Insert | Reference | Caption feature
insert
your captions? If so, then you should be able to use Insert |
Reference |
Cross-reference to cross-reference them.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

news Hi Margaret,