Vincdc

Default Table of Content problem

Hello:
I have some table captions in my Word document. For the styles and
formatting, I set these captions as Table caption; for TOC, I set them as
Level 6. I tried to use Insert-Reference-Index and Tables-Table of Figures
for these table captions. However, I got error messages in the table of
content "Error! No table of figures entries found"
Can anyone tell me what the reason for this error is and the possible
solution?
Thanks in advance!

Word Heretic

G'day Vincdc ,

Customize your table to use a certain style - Table Caption.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Vincdc reckoned:

Hello:
I have some table captions in my Word document. For the styles and
formatting, I set these captions as Table caption; for TOC, I set them as
Level 6. I tried to use Insert-Reference-Index and Tables-Table of Figures
for these table captions. However, I got error messages in the table of
content "Error! No table of figures entries found"
Can anyone tell me what the reason for this error is and the possible
solution?
Thanks in advance!

Word Heretic

G'day "Suzanne S. Barnhill" ,

You can set the TOF to be generated based on a style.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Suzanne S. Barnhill reckoned:

The Table of Figures is set up to look for paragraphs formatted in the
Caption style and using a specific (defined) caption label (Figure, Table,
Equation, etc.). If you've created your own custom style, you need to use a
TOC instead.

Word Heretic

G'day Suzanne

Yeah - it is that one style limitation that makes it more intuitive
for users I find :-)

I read an interesting article a few months back in Sci Am on the
stress created in modern society by the presence of too much choice.
This was followed up by JoAnne Hackos saying how good instructional
material reduces choice. If they can do it two ways, show them only
one way - when they get familiar enough with the product they can work
out the second way for themselves.

I immediately thought of Word's bullets and numbering and Tools
Options etc ad nauseum. :-)

I am currently writing a short article for the aus tech writers list
on locking down the interface and removing many of the features -
replacing some with more useful versions. Some of it is already
incorporated into the longer version I am doing for the MVP site :-)