newshost.allthenewsgroups.com

Default Styles and Formatting Table Issue when Protecting the Document?

Hello,

I have created a template that will be used by multiple
MS Word users. We are using the latest version of Word.

Anyway, I have a problem with the HEADER ROW
of my table that is in my template.

I am using Arial 12 throughout the template and arial 12 for the body of
this table (Table Grid). The header row is Arial 14 BOLD.

The table works fine until I go to ToolsProtect Document. At that point
when I create tables, I find that the header row is no longer upper case and
bold, but in lower case and regular text.

Any thoughts on why this might happen? It works before I go to protect the
document. I am using document protection to eliminate other styles coming
into the template when the various users paste source text into this blank
template.dot file.

Any assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Shauna Kelly

Hi

When you choose Tools Protect Document, there are two options for
protection: Formatting restrictions and Editing restrictions. Which of these
are you applying?

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"newshost.allthenewsgroups.com" wrote in message
news:45600$41c18743$cdb353aa$21675@allthenewsgroup s.com...
[...]

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the following options when I protect:

1. Limit Formatting to a selection of styles (Checked)
2. Editing restrictions - Allow only this type of editing in the document
(NOT Checked on any of the styles in my template)
3. Start Enforcement - Yes, Start Enforcement (Clicked after the creation of
each style for my .dot template)

As I may have mentioned before, everything works great except the Table
Header Row.
For my table, I am using the "Table Grid" style.

I am not sure why the table header font (Arial 12 for table cells and Arial
14 Bold for the table header row) would revert to Arial 12 regular - after
trying
to protect the document.

Do I need to check off option two (editing restrictions) in the protection
settings?

Any help on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

As
"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi Jim

It looks to me like Word is operating correctly. The option for "Limit
formatting to a selection of styles" is designed to ensure that the document
contains no formatting other than the styles you have allowed.

That means that no direct formatting is allowed. Not even just bold and a
bigger font. If the first row in the table has been formatted with direct
formatting to get the Arial 14 Bold, then when you apply the "Limit
formatting" protection, Word will remove the direct formatting.

Solutions:
1. (My preference) Create a new paragraph style called TableHeading (or some
such). Modify it to be Arial 14 bold. Apply that style to the paragraphs in
the first row of the table. At Tools Protection, under "Limit
formatting..." use the "Settings" button to add the new TableHeading style
to the list of allowed styles in the "Limit formatting" list.

2. Create a new table style and modify it so that the Heading row has the
formatting you need. Add that table style to the list in the "Limit
formatting" list.

Hope this helps.

news:c7ba5$41c6f792$cdb353aa$19678@allthenewsgroup s.com...
[...]

I went into that little hyperlink settings link and I got it
to work. My style (TableHeading) was already there
in the list and checked off.

I unchecked it, protected the doc. and then went back and checked it again
and all is working great.

Thanks for your assistance, it is very much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!!!

Jim