Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default # character in hyperlinks

When I try to insert a hyperlinks to a file in a folder that has a #
character in the name, the hyperlink does not insert correctly. What are the
rules for hyperlinks and where are the rules found? Is this a known bug (it
used to work with other versions of the application/OS)? Is there a work
around?

Thanks
Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JLatham JLatham is offline

The # symbol has special meaning in hyperlinks - it usually denotes a
bookmark - which is usually a location in the middle of a document of some
type, as a web page. I try not to ever use special, or even what I consider
odd, symbols in filenames. They always come back to bite you later when you
least expect it. Quickest fix, unless there are strong reasons not to, is to
rename the file to perhaps something like "FileNo4.xxx" instead of
"File#4.xxx"

"Kevin" wrote:

When I try to insert a hyperlinks to a file in a folder that has a #
character in the name, the hyperlink does not insert correctly. What are the
rules for hyperlinks and where are the rules found? Is this a known bug (it
used to work with other versions of the application/OS)? Is there a work
around?

Thanks
Kevin

Absolute hyperlinks without losing local hyperlinks! 2nd attempt MattM Microsoft Word Help 18 September 30th 09 10:14 PM
Absolute hyperlinks without losing local hyperlinks! MattM Microsoft Word Help 0 May 25th 06 02:55 PM
Wood 2002 remove character style and revert to paragraph style Nimbus Page Layout 3 March 6th 06 09:36 AM
International Keyboard mike New Users 2 January 23rd 06 12:41 AM
How do you end or "turn off" a character style while entering text Larry Root Microsoft Word Help 3 April 25th 05 03:29 PM