Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wendy7 Wendy7 is offline

Default Urgent...Word Mergefield Formula

Hello,

I'm trying to do a Merge and one of the fields in the merge I need to
multiply by 12. I was using just a simple formula: {=08APRGP*12
\#"$#,##0.00"}

And I'm getting a syntax error. Does anyone know a solution or the issue to
the formula?

Tank you!
Wendy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need to insert the field not just its name eg

{={Mergefield 08APRGP} * 12 \# "$,0.00"}

and the field 08APRGP must actually contain a number.

Wendy7 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to do a Merge and one of the fields in the merge I need to
multiply by 12. I was using just a simple formula: {=08APRGP*12
\#"$#,##0.00"}

And I'm getting a syntax error. Does anyone know a solution or the
issue to the formula?

Tank you!
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wendy7 Wendy7 is offline

Hi Graham -

Thanks for responding - I wasn't inserting another field for the '08APRGP'.
I'm still getting a syntax error however.... I inserted a field for the first
{} then manually typed = then ctrl+f9 again for the 'Mergefield 08APRGP' - my
formula looks like:

{ ={ Mergefield 08AscendTotalRGPAMount } * 12 \# "$,0.00" }

Do I need to do it from the menu - Insert/Field/MergeField?

Or any other ideas why it's not working? THanks a lot!
Wendy

Wendy7 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to do a Merge and one of the fields in the merge I need to
multiply by 12. I was using just a simple formula: {=08APRGP*12
\#"$#,##0.00"}

And I'm getting a syntax error. Does anyone know a solution or the
issue to the formula?

Tank you!
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wendy7 Wendy7 is offline

Hi Graham,

I don't know if this helps but when I toggle field codes it returns the
following:

{ = *12\#"$,0.00"}{=*12\#",0.00"}

Thanks

Wendy7 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to do a Merge and one of the fields in the merge I need to
multiply by 12. I was using just a simple formula: {=08APRGP*12
\#"$#,##0.00"}

And I'm getting a syntax error. Does anyone know a solution or the
issue to the formula?

Tank you!
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That certainly looks wrong.

What you should see is something more like what Graham suggested:

{={Mergefield 08APRGP} * 12 \# "$,0.00"}

What do you get if you just have

{Mergefield 08APRGP}

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Wendy7 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to do a Merge and one of the fields in the merge I need to
multiply by 12. I was using just a simple formula: {=08APRGP*12
\#"$#,##0.00"}

And I'm getting a syntax error. Does anyone know a solution or the
issue to the formula?

Tank you!
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What do you get when you insert the field you wish to calculate from

{ Mergefield 08AscendTotalRGPAMount }
or is it
{ Mergefield 08APRGP }
that you previously reported?

Wendy7 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to do a Merge and one of the fields in the merge I need
to multiply by 12. I was using just a simple formula: {=08APRGP*12
\#"$#,##0.00"}

And I'm getting a syntax error. Does anyone know a solution or the
issue to the formula?

Tank you!
Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Wendy7 Wendy7 is offline

Thank you for your help. I just found out that the third party database I'm
using translates the field '08APRGP' or '08AscendTotalRGPAmount' to
'Compute_0017' before merging to Word. Word dropped the field - and I think
that's how the calculation became - {=*12\#",0.00"} without the mergefield
name. I put the mergefield name as compute_0017 and it works now...

Thank you for your time-
I appreciate it.

Wendy Jones

(Sorry, I was using the '08APRGP' as an abbreviated form of
'08AscendTotalRGPAmount')