Christine Lisi

Default Bookmarks

We created a form in Word. Two of the fields in the form have a bookmark.
When we right click on one of the form fields and choose Properties, inside
the Text Form Field Options window there is a Bookmark field where presumably
you can put a Bookmark. You can also go to Insert Bookmark in the Insert
menu.

My question is - these two bookmarks are obviously different because if you
set bookmarks up in the Insert Menu they do not show up when you right click
and go to Properties.

Can someone please explain because this makes no sense and is causing us
problems.

Thanks.

Jay Freedman

Christine Lisi wrote:
We created a form in Word. Two of the fields in the form have a
bookmark. When we right click on one of the form fields and choose
Properties, inside the Text Form Field Options window there is a
Bookmark field where presumably you can put a Bookmark. You can also
go to Insert Bookmark in the Insert menu.

My question is - these two bookmarks are obviously different because
if you set bookmarks up in the Insert Menu they do not show up when
you right click and go to Properties.

Can someone please explain because this makes no sense and is causing
us problems.

Thanks.

Yes, these are two different mechanisms.

The bookmark you insert from the Insert Bookmark dialog is just a
bookmark. It may happen to enclose a field, or plain text, or inline
graphics, or any or all of those, or nothing (just a point). If there is a
field inside, the bookmark isn't really "connected to" the field.

The bookmark shown in the field's Properties dialog is really more like the
"name" of the field. Although it is listed as a bookmark in the Insert
Bookmark dialog, it's really built into the field. It can't enclose anything
else, or be moved or expanded/collapsed independently of the field.

When you're dealing with the form field -- for example, in macro code -- use
the built-in bookmark name from the Properties dialog. It's usually best not
to enclose the field in a bookmark from the Insert Bookmark dialog, unless
the bookmark is being used to designate a larger area of the form (e.g., to
make a large chunk of it Hidden or to delete it).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Doug Robbins

When you insert a formfield from the formfields toolbar, it is automatically
assigned a bookmark name. You can change this if you want to. The main
purpose of it is to provide a means of referencing the formfield either for
use in VBA, or if you want the same text to appear in another part of the
document which you can do by inserting a cross reference to the text of the
bookmark, that is assigned to the formfield.

If this doesn't help, please explain what problems you are facing.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Christine Lisi" wrote in message
We created a form in Word. Two of the fields in the form have a bookmark.
When we right click on one of the form fields and choose Properties,
inside
the Text Form Field Options window there is a Bookmark field where
presumably
you can put a Bookmark. You can also go to Insert Bookmark in the Insert
menu.

My question is - these two bookmarks are obviously different because if
you
set bookmarks up in the Insert Menu they do not show up when you right
click
and go to Properties.

Can someone please explain because this makes no sense and is causing us
problems.

Thanks.

Christine Lisi

I guess the problem is mainly confusion. Yes, we have an application that
uses VBA and the VBA uses the Bookmark in the Insert Menu. I just think it
is confusing to a regular user that there are 2 bookmarks on a field. It
should be called something else if it is not a bookmark. Jay's explanation
was a bit over my head, but I'm sure he is exactly correct. Do you both
agree that they should be called different things if they are, in fact,
different objects?

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Jay Freedman

I do agree that it might be less confusing when you're first learning about
forms if they were called different things.

The reason they are both called bookmarks is that the field's built-in
whatchamacallit really is a bookmark -- as I mentioned, it appears in the
Bookmark dialog, and it's possible to manipulate them in VBA as part of the
list of bookmarks -- it's just a "restricted" kind of bookmark because it's
associated with the form field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman