Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Changing datasource without losing field matching

Is there a way to change the datasource without word losing the field
matching?

I was trying to set up a basic template that someone else could load,
select a file that is emailed to them and then hit merge to printer.
The problem is when the file source is changed word remaps all the
field names (incorrectly) instead of keeping the current mappings. The
file itself will always contain the same headers in it as it comes from
an automated export from a database that is then emailed to us.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

From your reference to mapping of fields, I assume that you are using the
Address Block. Instead of doing that, just insert the individual merge
fields in the configuration that you want them. Having done that, if the
data sources have the same fields in them, you should be able to change the
data source and everything you work without further adjustment.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a way to change the datasource without word losing the field
matching?

I was trying to set up a basic template that someone else could load,
select a file that is emailed to them and then hit merge to printer.
The problem is when the file source is changed word remaps all the
field names (incorrectly) instead of keeping the current mappings. The
file itself will always contain the same headers in it as it comes from
an automated export from a database that is then emailed to us.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Thats what I had to do in the end. Fortunatly the newer versions of
word don't stick a blank line in for empty fields anymore. Still don't
see why it cannot give me the option to keep the current mappings
instead of deciding that I want everything automapped again but
nevermind.