Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nyco_ork Nyco_ork is offline

Default Wd 2003: can't stop "formatting" on Review toolbar

Word 2003 has some handy reviewing features, but I'm having a problem with
getting rid of ShowFormatting on the Reviewing toolbar.

A: I usually don't want to show formatting changes during markup (I don't
make that many) and

B) I have one document in particular, which has equations, which is made
unstable by the feature. I am doing markup on several long (71,000 word)
documents, with basic manuscript formatting, but several embedded graphics
and equations in some of them.

What goes wrong is that Word takes 4 to 5 times as long as it should to save
the document with equations. I re-edited the equations, which helped, but
I've discovered that the real culprit is the
ViewToolbarsReviewingShowFormatting).

Here are the things I've done to fix it:

I disabled "keep track of formatting" in the ToolsOptionsEdit setup.
Didn't help.

Set the "formatting" format in ToolsOptionsTrack Changes to None instead
of Double Underline. Didn't help.

Gone into ViewToolbarsCustomizeRearrange CommandsToolbarsReviewing, but
there is no way to change sub-commads, only the main commands.

Unchecked the ViewToolbarsReviewingShowFormatting check box. That
worked...BUT

The change won't stick. I edited Normal.dot, saved the template, exited Word
saving the templage change, reopened word to a blank document. The "show
formatting" box was checked again.

I made the change to every document that is affected, resaved each one,
exited Word, reopened the documents, and it was back again.

I have to turn this thing off each and every session, and for each and every
saved document I open within a session. The new setting will hold for one
session (that is, opening a new blank document will have the change), but it
always comes back the next time I open Word. This is a real pain. Not only
do I have to twiddle my thumbs while the program is savng an affected
document, I have concerns that the document might become corrupted.

I consider this a bug. If I don't want to show formatting changes in markup,
and I want that to be my default setting, that should be possible. It also
should not be slowing down saves the way it does. That makes it a double bug.

RB

click "I Agree" in the message pane.