Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JonTarg JonTarg is offline

Default Table of Contents entries

I am encountering difficulties using the Table of Contents feature in
Word2007 operating under Vista.

I want to exclude certain headings from the TOC, but when I go to the
References "Add Text" button and tick "Do not show in Table of Contents"
(this is the only way I know to exclude the item from the TOC) the heading is
automatically placed in a lower heading level - I don't want to lower the
heading level of the heading involved.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

JonTarg wrote:
I am encountering difficulties using the Table of Contents feature in
Word2007 operating under Vista.

I want to exclude certain headings from the TOC, but when I go to the
References "Add Text" button and tick "Do not show in Table of
Contents" (this is the only way I know to exclude the item from the
TOC) the heading is automatically placed in a lower heading level - I
don't want to lower the heading level of the heading involved.

Any suggestions?

The simplest method is to create a new style, whose formatting is identical
to that of the style those headings now have, but with the Outline Level in
its Paragraph dialog set to "body text". Apply that style to any headings
you want to exclude from the TOC.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If your TOC shows heading 1 to 3 and you only want to show headings 1 and 2,
select the TOC and toggle the field codes so you see something like this:
{TOC \o 1-3 \H \Z \U }. Change the 3 to a 2 then update the field.

You could also do this in the table of contents options dialog, where you
would delete the number in the TOC level coumn for the heading/style you
don't want to appear. This will generate a new TOC, so modifying the field
codes is best if you have customizations.

PamC