Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MaryM MaryM is offline

Default Update field option is disabled

Why is the "Update Fields" (F9) option in my doc disabled? For the TOC and
all cross-references, pressing F9 does nothing, and the context menu
(right-click) shows the Update field option as grayed-out, disabled.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Possibly the fields are locked or have been unlinked?

"MaryM" wrote in message
Why is the "Update Fields" (F9) option in my doc disabled? For the TOC and
all cross-references, pressing F9 does nothing, and the context menu
(right-click) shows the Update field option as grayed-out, disabled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MaryM MaryM is offline

Thanks for your help. Have you heard of this situation?
The problem is definetly related to PDF creation.
After creating a PDF from a Word 2003 doc, the €śUpdate Field€ť option for all
cross-references, TOC, and Index is disabled. I used the standard PDF
conversion utility provided with Acrobat Standard 8. When a new TOC or
cross-reference is added to the doc it continues to behave as expected; only
those inserted before PDF conversion are problematic. In addition, the style
and font for the cross-references is altered to ZWAdobeF.

"MaryM" wrote in message
Why is the "Update Fields" (F9) option in my doc disabled? For the TOC and
all cross-references, pressing F9 does nothing, and the context menu
(right-click) shows the Update field option as grayed-out, disabled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MaryM MaryM is offline

I also forgot to mention that the links still work, even when the Update
option is disabled. Thanks again.

"MaryM" wrote in message
Why is the "Update Fields" (F9) option in my doc disabled? For the TOC and
all cross-references, pressing F9 does nothing, and the context menu
(right-click) shows the Update field option as grayed-out, disabled.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What I have found is that the "Update fields" check box on the Print tab of
Tools | Options is cleared every time I create a PDF; I have to remember to
however.

"MaryM" wrote in message
Thanks for your help. Have you heard of this situation?
The problem is definetly related to PDF creation.
After creating a PDF from a Word 2003 doc, the "Update Field" option for