Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert Morrison Robert Morrison is offline

Default How do i see what column number a word is in for Word 2007

As I type a line in Word I need to know exactly what column each letter is on
the top column bar under the ribbon.

Example.

The fox jumped over the fence.
What column is the "v" in over in. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

One of the things Word calls a column is the character position along the
line, which appears to be what you want. This can be displayed on the Status
Bar (right click on the status bar and make sure "Column" is checked if you
can't see it).

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Robert Morrison" Robert wrote in
message ...
As I type a line in Word I need to know exactly what column each letter is
on
the top column bar under the ribbon.

Example.

The fox jumped over the fence.
What column is the "v" in over in. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The status bar normally displays the column number

Only in Word 2003 and earlier. As the subject line states, this question is
about Word 2007, in which line and column number display is optional.

"Peter A" wrote in message
om...
In article , =?Utf-
8?B?Um9iZXJ0IE1vcnJpc29u?= Robert
says...
As I type a line in Word I need to know exactly what column each letter
is on
the top column bar under the ribbon.

Example.

The fox jumped over the fence.
What column is the "v" in over in. Thank you.

The status bar normally displays the column number - but it's really the
character position. With proportional fonts, the idea of verticasl
columns is meaningless. The 10th character on one line may be to the
left or right of the 10th character on another line.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers