Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren Nicole[_2_] Lauren Nicole[_2_] is offline

Default spacing between sentences

In MS Word 2003, how do I change the default of one space between sentences
to 2 spaces between sentences?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By pressing the spacebar twice. I won't get into the argument about whether
or not this is required (though I maintain that it is not if you are using
get the grammar checker to highlight "incorrect" spacing however: Tools |
Options | Spelling & Grammar: Grammar: Settings: "Spaces required between
sentences."

"Lauren Nicole" wrote in message
In MS Word 2003, how do I change the default of one space between
sentences
to 2 spaces between sentences?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren Nicole[_2_] Lauren Nicole[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the sense of humor. I don't like two spaces, either, but when it
is a requirement for a paper, you do what you gotta do.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

By pressing the spacebar twice. I won't get into the argument about whether
or not this is required (though I maintain that it is not if you are using
get the grammar checker to highlight "incorrect" spacing however: Tools |
Options | Spelling & Grammar: Grammar: Settings: "Spaces required between
sentences."

"Lauren Nicole" wrote in message
In MS Word 2003, how do I change the default of one space between
sentences
to 2 spaces between sentences?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

The easiest thing to do is, when you've finished other work on the document,
do a Find and Replace to add in the extra spaces.

Alternatively you could set up an AutoCorrect. If you 'correct' "." (dot) to
". " (dot space) then typing dot space will give you dot space space. It
will however mess up any other uses of dots (in numbers for example).

The choice is yours - I would go for the F&R at the end but you do have to
remember to do it!

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

By pressing the spacebar twice. I won't get into the argument about
whether
or not this is required (though I maintain that it is not if you are
using
can
get the grammar checker to highlight "incorrect" spacing however: Tools |
Options | Spelling & Grammar: Grammar: Settings: "Spaces required between
sentences."

"Lauren Nicole" wrote in message
In MS Word 2003, how do I change the default of one space between
sentences
to 2 spaces between sentences?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keeping in mind, however, that (a) Word can't distinguish a period after an
abbreviation from a period at the end of a sentence, and (b) some sentences
end in other punctuation (question mark, exclamation point).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

By pressing the spacebar twice. I won't get into the argument about
whether
or not this is required (though I maintain that it is not if you are
using
can
get the grammar checker to highlight "incorrect" spacing however: Tools

Options | Spelling & Grammar: Grammar: Settings: "Spaces required
between
sentences."

"Lauren Nicole" wrote in
message
In MS Word 2003, how do I change the default of one space between
sentences
to 2 spaces between sentences?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article , "Tony Jollans" My
forename at my surname dot com says...
Subject: spacing between sentences
From: "Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The easiest thing to do is, when you've finished other work on the document,
do a Find and Replace to add in the extra spaces.

Not a good idea. If you already have some periods followed by 2 spaces
they will be changed to a period followed by three spaces.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

It's easy to change (end-of-sentence-character) (space) (not space) to (same
end-of-sentence-character) (space) (space) (same not space) and leave other
combinations alone.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Peter A" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Tony Jollans" My
forename at my surname dot com says...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

1. Type with two spaces (I do both single and double).
2. Use a macro (I do this always)
3 Without using a macro change settings for Normal.dot

Tools
Spelling & Grammar (see attached)

Then when you run spell check it will change all according to rule.

Summer
www.docsliveonline.com

"Lauren Nicole" wrote in message
In MS Word 2003, how do I change the default of one space between
sentences
to 2 spaces between sentences?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article , "Tony Jollans" My
forename at my surname dot com says...
It's easy to change (end-of-sentence-character) (space) (not space) to (same
end-of-sentence-character) (space) (space) (same not space) and leave other
combinations alone.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Yes, if you know how to use regular expressions, but most Word users do
not.

Actually, a way to do it without REs is:

1) Replace all instances of period-space-space with some unique
character combination such as @@@@.
2) Replace all instances of period-space with period-space-space.
3) Replace all instances of @@@@ with period-space-space.