Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ceedee Ceedee is offline

Default footnotes not showing

hi everyone.

I have the interesting situation where fotnotes show for some of the
document, but do not show after #12. I have some 23+ footnotes. When I
CTRL+click on the footnote marker, I get sent to the bottom of the document,
where you can type into the footnote, but you can't see it!

anyone know the cause?
cheers,
Ceedee
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: footnotes not showing

Hi Ceedee,

It sounds like there might be a formatting issue with your footnotes. Here are a few steps you can try to fix the problem:
  1. Check your footnote settings: Go to the "References" tab and click on "Footnotes" in the "Footnotes" section. Make sure that "Footnotes" is selected under "Location" and that the "Number format" is set to "1, 2, 3...".
  2. Check your view settings: Make sure that you are viewing your document in "Print Layout" view. You can switch to this view by clicking on the "View" tab and selecting "Print Layout" in the "Views" section.
  3. Check your footnote formatting: Go to the first footnote that is not showing up and right-click on the footnote number. Select "Footnote and Endnote" from the menu that appears. In the "Footnote and Endnote" dialog box, make sure that "Footnote Text" is selected under "Show" and that the "Numbering" option is set to "Restart each section".
  4. Check your document sections: If your document has multiple sections, make sure that the footnotes are set to restart at the beginning of each section. You can do this by going to the "Page Layout" tab, clicking on "Breaks" in the "Page Setup" section, and selecting "Next Page" under "Section Breaks". Then, go to the first footnote in the new section and follow step 3 above to make sure that the footnotes are set to restart at each section.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue with your footnotes. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ceedee Ceedee is offline

No. I can see them in Normal view and they are not 'hidden'. It's just in
print view, from #14 onwards they don't appear anywhere in the document.

"Ceedee" wrote in message
hi everyone.

I have the interesting situation where fotnotes show for some of the
document, but do not show after #12. I have some 23+ footnotes. When I
CTRL+click on the footnote marker, I get sent to the bottom of the

document,
where you can type into the footnote, but you can't see it!

anyone know the cause?
cheers,
Ceedee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are they footnotes to a table? I have seen this happen when (a) footnote
references were inserted in a table and (b) a table row continued over
several pages. When footnote references appear in a table, Word defers the
footnote to the page on which the row ends. If the row extends over several
pages, and there are a lot of footnotes, by the time you get to the end of
the row, there may not be room for all the footnotes, at which point Word
just throws up its hands and throws in the towel.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the text perhaps formatted as Hidden?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ceedee" wrote in message
hi everyone.

I have the interesting situation where fotnotes show for some of the
document, but do not show after #12. I have some 23+ footnotes. When

CTRL+click on the footnote marker, I get sent to the bottom of the

document,
where you can type into the footnote, but you can't see it!

anyone know the cause?
cheers,
Ceedee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ceedee Ceedee is offline

Yes - it is in a table! we're getting somewhere. One row takes up the whole
page, but the next page has several rows. The row doesn't go over the page.
However, I have put in an extra row and moved some of the text to the next
row, and that seems to work! The rest of the footnotes are showing ok!
thanks so much,
Ceedee

"Ceedee" wrote in message
hi everyone.

I have the interesting situation where fotnotes show for some of the
document, but do not show after #12. I have some 23+ footnotes. When

CTRL+click on the footnote marker, I get sent to the bottom of the
document,
where you can type into the footnote, but you can't see it!

anyone know the cause?
cheers,
Ceedee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've usually found that splitting the row where possible does the trick. If
the row took up the entire page, leaving no room for the footnotes, then
that would have been the problem.

"Ceedee" wrote in message
hi everyone.

I have the interesting situation where fotnotes show for some of

the
document, but do not show after #12. I have some 23+ footnotes.

When
CTRL+click on the footnote marker, I get sent to the bottom of the
document,
where you can type into the footnote, but you can't see it!

anyone know the cause?
cheers,
Ceedee

Big_Al Big_Al is offline
Junior Member

Location: Bristol UK

I know i'm raising an old post, but had this problem today.

Solved by selecting the entire table, going to table properties and setting the text wrapping to none.

I had to manually set the table indent after this to replicate the indented style but it worked a treat (large legal document)