Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan O

Default Word modified date is less than create date

I have about 40 documents on a server that have a modified date as 1980 and
the created date as of 1999 and 2000. When I attempt to open the documents
they open but with no formatting and garbage at the top and bottom. I also
have some documents from other years (1991, 1993 and 1995 ) that I also can
not open.

Thanks for the help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

It sounds as though you are opening them with the 'recover any text from
file' option set in the file open dialog.

Dan O wrote:
I have about 40 documents on a server that have a modified date as
1980 and the created date as of 1999 and 2000. When I attempt to
open the documents they open but with no formatting and garbage at
the top and bottom. I also have some documents from other years
(1991, 1993 and 1995 ) that I also can not open.

Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan O

I do not see that option on the open dialog box. I have downloaded a couple
of demo word recovery programs but neither of them have been able to recover
the documents. Any suggestions as to why they would haqve become corrupt?

"Dan O" wrote:

I have about 40 documents on a server that have a modified date as 1980 and
the created date as of 1999 and 2000. When I attempt to open the documents
they open but with no formatting and garbage at the top and bottom. I also
have some documents from other years (1991, 1993 and 1995 ) that I also can
not open.

Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

The option to recover text of any type is in the File Type box on the File
Open dialog. By the way, you do not want to be using this option generally
because it produces less than useful files.

Files from that long ago were created by old versions of Word, if they were
created by Word at all.
Do they have extensions of .doc? Do you know which program created them?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Dan O" wrote:

I have about 40 documents on a server that have a modified date as 1980
and
the created date as of 1999 and 2000. When I attempt to open the
documents
they open but with no formatting and garbage at the top and bottom. I
also
have some documents from other years (1991, 1993 and 1995 ) that I also
can
not open.

Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan O

After talking to a supervisor they were created in Multimate. Does word come
with a convertor for MultiMate?

"Dan O" wrote:

I have about 40 documents on a server that have a modified date as 1980
and
the created date as of 1999 and 2000. When I attempt to open the
documents
they open but with no formatting and garbage at the top and bottom. I
also
have some documents from other years (1991, 1993 and 1995 ) that I also
can
not open.

Thanks for the help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

It did at one time; at least Word 6 still came with a MultiMate converter.
MultiMate was my first computer word processing program but I'm not sure how
I would convert something today without reinstalling Word 6. Any converted
files would not be very useful anyway in that the conversion process
generally makes for clunky documents. If you have paper versions, you might
be better off recreating them anyway. Generally with conversions, I
recommend saving in the original program to a text format and then importing
into Word from text. Formatting is then recreated in Word using styles and
tables.

I know I got MultiMate to run on a computer with Windows 98 but I haven't
tried it with later versions of Windows. I think all my MultiMate disks are
5-1/4 inch floppies.

There is a converter at http://www.re-soft.com/product/convert2.htm which
might work. Haven't tried it.