Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bisbee's mom

Default No Wizard, Tried several times to activate/install/uninstall Word2

I had to rebuild my XP home system, I can not activate Word 2002 on the phone
cuz it says have the activation wizard open - but there isn't one, when I
called last night, just kept hearing "I don't understand" arrrgghhhh!
Opening "help, activate" does not do anything - no wizard, no options to
chose Internet or Phone activation - I am losing what's left of my mind!!!

So, I had old Office 97 on the machine, uninstalled that, went back to a
week old restore point, reinstalled Word 2002 from the MS Works 2002 CDs that
came with my Dell and NO activation wizard. Is the activation wizard built
into Works/Word?
How do get it to start?

I even tried to find a "opa11.dat" file (or any op*.dat file) to try to
delete like it says for Office 2003 activation trouble.

My XP home is activated, did that again and it's all set - is there
something lurking in the registry that prevents the activation wizard from
running?

Appreciate any other suggestions here, I'd really like to be able to run a
newer version of Word!

(I am out of work and cannot afford to call Dell or Microsoft - and wow,
hope I don't have to rebuild this machine again!!)

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

If the activation wizard does not start, then how did you know
what phone number to call last night?

Quoting from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903275 :
1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.
2. Right-click the Data.dat file, and then click Delete.
Important: Do not delete the data.bak file.
3. Close the folder.
4. Start an Office XP program to start the Office XP
Activation Wizard.

(Word 2002 is an Office XP program, as well as a Works Suite 2002
program.)

Bisbee's mom wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bisbee''s mom

Default No Wizard, Tried several times to activate/install/uninstall W

Thanks so much, that was the file that was stopping the wizard - all
activated now!
It was easy to find the phone number - just did a search on Microsoft - took
a while, but found the number - plus, the link is posted in several of the
threads here, too.