Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ben[_4_] Ben[_4_] is offline

Default Driving me insane: Custom headers do not retain formatting

Hi,

First off, I have to say that after ~15 years of using MS Word, it is
still full of bugs. They should just stop ramming in new features for
a while and make the existing ones work.

-- Rant over --

Anyway, I have a problem that is making me pull my hair out:

I have created a custom header, it's very simple, just a line with the
title in the top left and the subject in the top right. The title and
subject are QuickParts, inserted via QuickParts-Document Property. I
have set the formatting of these fields to be Verdana, 10, black.
Then, I added the selection to the QuickParts gallery in the Headers
section so I can reuse it.
When adding the header in a new document, the title always comes up
grey, Verdana, 12, the subject in black, Verdana, 12.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason why one comes up grey and the
other black. I have tried setting the formatting before inserting the
QuickParts-Document Property and this causes a minor improvement
(like the font size sticks, or the colour, but never both).

Seriously, MS, did you test this product?

Any ideas about how I can workaround this glitch?

Cheers,
Ben
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The document properties you are referring to are actually content controls.
First display the Developer tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular:
"Show Developer tab in the Ribbon"). Then proceed as follows: For each of
the content controls, place the insertion point in it and, on the Developer
tab, click Properties. Click "Use a style to format contents" and choose the
desired style (or create a new one using the New button).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ben" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ben[_4_] Ben[_4_] is offline

Stefan,

Thanks. Worked a treat. Not a bug after all. [Blush].

Ben

On 6 Oct, 11:17, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
The document properties you are referring to are actually content controls.
First display the Developer tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular:
"Show Developer tab in the Ribbon"). Then proceed as follows: For each of
the content controls, place the insertion point in it and, on the Developer
tab, click Properties. Click "Use a style to format contents" and choose the
desired style (or create a new one using the New button).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
The document properties you are referring to are actually content
controls.
First display the Developer tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular:
"Show Developer tab in the Ribbon"). Then proceed as follows: For each of
the content controls, place the insertion point in it and, on the
Developer
tab, click Properties. Click "Use a style to format contents" and choose
the
desired style (or create a new one using the New button).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ben[_4_] Ben[_4_] is offline

Well, here's another oddity.

In the "Style:" combobox, there are only a few styles listed, even
though the template contains many (approx 30). The only way to get it
to format correctly is to create a new style that is the same as an
existing style.

Is that right?

Thanks,
Ben

On 6 Oct, 11:39, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
I'm glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do the following to show all styles in Word: In the Styles pane
(Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click Options on the bottom right. In the dialog box, at
"Select styles to show," choose "All styles." You may want to choose
"Alphabetical" for "Select how list is sorted."

If you want to show all styles in all future documents based on the template
attached to the current document, choose "New documents based on this
template" before clicking OK.

Now you should be able to see all style names in the Content Control
Properties dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ben" wrote in message
Well, here's another oddity.

In the "Style:" combobox, there are only a few styles listed, even
though the template contains many (approx 30). The only way to get it
to format correctly is to create a new style that is the same as an
existing style.

Is that right?

Thanks,
Ben