Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bety at Keltec Bety at Keltec is offline

Default table of contents page numbers without chapter numbers

I have a document that I created. All the pages have been set up to have the
chapter number included in the page numbering. When I go to update the table
of contents, some of the page numbers in the table of contents do not have
the chapter number. What could be wrong. All the individual pages have the
chapter number on them where I put the page number, but chapter numbers are
missing on the table of contents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You won't see chapter numbers in the TOC unless you used the "Include
chapter number" feature in the Format Page Number dialog. Chapter numbers
inserted in the header/footer manually will not show up.

"Bety at Keltec" wrote in message
I have a document that I created. All the pages have been set up to have

the
chapter number included in the page numbering. When I go to update the

table
of contents, some of the page numbers in the table of contents do not have
the chapter number. What could be wrong. All the individual pages have

the
chapter number on them where I put the page number, but chapter numbers

are
missing on the table of contents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bety at Keltec Bety at Keltec is offline

I did not type in chapter numbers manually. I checked the include chapter
number box in the format page number dialog, so all pages in my document have
the chapter number included in the page number. But, several in the table of
contents are missing chapter numbers, while several others have chapter
numbers. I can't see why all pages would have the chapter numbers included
on the page, but they do not show up on the TOC. Any ideas?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You won't see chapter numbers in the TOC unless you used the "Include
chapter number" feature in the Format Page Number dialog. Chapter numbers
inserted in the header/footer manually will not show up.

"Bety at Keltec" wrote in message
I have a document that I created. All the pages have been set up to have

the
chapter number included in the page numbering. When I go to update the

table
of contents, some of the page numbers in the table of contents do not have
the chapter number. What could be wrong. All the individual pages have

the
chapter number on them where I put the page number, but chapter numbers

are
missing on the table of contents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is this true even when you update the TOC? If so, View | Header and Footer
and Show Next to get to one of the chapters where the page number is not
being displayed correctly. Press Alt+F9. Does the entire page number
(chapter number and all) resolve to { PAGE }, or is there an additional
field or text in front of the PAGE field?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You won't see chapter numbers in the TOC unless you used the "Include
chapter number" feature in the Format Page Number dialog. Chapter

numbers
inserted in the header/footer manually will not show up.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bety at Keltec" wrote in

message
I have a document that I created. All the pages have been set up to

have
the
chapter number included in the page numbering. When I go to update

the
table
of contents, some of the page numbers in the table of contents do not

have
the chapter number. What could be wrong. All the individual pages

have
the
chapter number on them where I put the page number, but chapter

numbers
are
missing on the table of contents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie V. Julie V. is offline

Hi, I am having a similar problem (although I would like the chapter-page #
to show up on my TOC. When I press Alt+F9, I get 1-{PAGE}

Am I on the right track??
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This means that the chapter number has been typed in manually. To include
chapter numbering in the page number, you must use the "Include chapter
number" option in the Page Number dialog (and this requires that the chapter
number must occur in an autonumbered paragraph in one of Word's built-in
heading styles). See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

#