Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
KMonkey[_2_] KMonkey[_2_] is offline

Default Footer view differnt than page view

I have been having difficulties updating the numbering in a document that I
am working on in Word. I have a number of section and page breaks for
formatting reasons but I want the document to number itself in order. I have
been able to update most of the page numbers by utilizing the "start at"
feature in the footer toolbar. However, I have one page, page 7 that will
not change. It will show in the footer as page 7 (when I have double clicked
on the footer to edit it) but when I close out of the footer, the page number
shows as page 4 on the document. I have linked and unlinked it to the
Word help and online word resources including this web page. Is there a way
to manually change only this page number?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you want continuous numbering, you should be using "Continue from
previous section" rather than "Start at." Wherever the numbering is
incorrect, you need to back up to the previous section to make sure that it
is also set for "Continue..."

The problem usually arises when there is a section in the middle of a page
(between Continuous section breaks) that can't be accessed from the header
or footer. In such cases, you must place the insertion point in that
section, go to Insert | Page Numbers, click Format, change to "Continue...,"
OK out of the Page Number Format dialog, and then be careful to use Close
rather than OK so that you don't actually insert another page number.

http://word.mvps.org