Jon Lewis

Default Workgroup templates

Ever since I put my company's common templates on our server as workgroup
templates, we have had no end of problems with the app. Some of these a
messages about changes affecting the normal template - do we want to save?,
phantom (~$) versions of templates and docs remaining in the templates
folder after the relevant doc(s) or application is closed. A new Normal.dot
template appering on the server when Word is opened on a client pc even
though a Normal.dot template exists locally. Problems saving docs and
opening new docs based on the workgroup templates. Are there some rules or
best pratices re workgroup templates that I might not be following? Office
97 BTW, various clients, SBS2000 server.

TIA

Cynthia

When I worked in word processing at Group Health, we had common templates on
the Server but were NEW templates - did not edit NORMAL.DOT at all. And
these templates were available to people in the supported departments only
with a login ID and Password. The original template was protected. The end
user could not edit those. Only open a new document based on that template
design. If membory serves me correctly, while you have Word OPEN, there is
a temporary file there with the little "~" as a file prefix . Don't know if
it's saved when Word is closed out. It is supposed to be temporary (a
backup?) - OUCH - Office 97?????? Holy cow! I haven't seen that in eons!

Is there any reason why the company hasn't upgraded to at least Office 2002?
It's so much better!
Ever since I put my company's common templates on our server as workgroup
templates, we have had no end of problems with the app. Some of these a
messages about changes affecting the normal template - do we want to save?,
phantom (~$) versions of templates and docs remaining in the templates
folder after the relevant doc(s) or application is closed. A new Normal.dot
template appering on the server when Word is opened on a client pc even
though a Normal.dot template exists locally. Problems saving docs and
opening new docs based on the workgroup templates. Are there some rules or
best pratices re workgroup templates that I might not be following? Office
97 BTW, various clients, SBS2000 server.

TIA

Charles Kenyon

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon