Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Max Max is offline

Default Captions: want to reveal only the first part in table of figures

Hi there,

hope one can help me out with the following:

I have a doc in which I want the next caption under a figu

"Figure #: Blabla [bold]; further decsription.......[normal]..............."

but in the table of figures I only want th efollowing to be seen:

"Figure #: Blabla"

followed by the page number, but without the further description!

How can I do this without having to put the description on th enext line or
something like that? Would help me a lot!

regards, Max
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Split the paragraph after "Blabla" but format the paragraph mark as
hidden. Update the table of figures.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Hi there,

hope one can help me out with the following:

I have a doc in which I want the next caption under a figu

"Figure #: Blabla [bold]; further

decsription.......[normal]..............."

but in the table of figures I only want th efollowing to be seen:

"Figure #: Blabla"

followed by the page number, but without the further description!

How can I do this without having to put the description on th enext

line or
something like that? Would help me a lot!

regards, Max

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If captions are generated based on styles, you would of course have to
apply a different style to the paragraph following the one with the
hidden paragraph mark. Otherwise, they will both be picked up by the
TOF.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Hi there,

hope one can help me out with the following:

I have a doc in which I want the next caption under a figu

"Figure #: Blabla [bold]; further

decsription.......[normal]..............."

but in the table of figures I only want th efollowing to be seen:

"Figure #: Blabla"

followed by the page number, but without the further description!

How can I do this without having to put the description on th

enext
line or
something like that? Would help me a lot!

regards, Max

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Max Max is offline

Default Captions: want to reveal only the first part in table of figur

I have been looking for the paragraph split, but do not know how to do it,
sorry! can you help me with this please?

Thanks!

"Max" wrote in message
Hi there,

hope one can help me out with the following:

I have a doc in which I want the next caption under a figu

"Figure #: Blabla [bold]; further

decsription.......[normal]..............."

but in the table of figures I only want th efollowing to be seen:

"Figure #: Blabla"

followed by the page number, but without the further description!

How can I do this without having to put the description on th

enext
line or
something like that? Would help me a lot!

regards, Max

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To split a paragraph at the insertion point, just press Enter.

You may find it easier to see what is going on if you display
nonprinting marks. To do this, click the ¶ button on the Standard
toolbar (or press Ctrl+Shift+8). Paragraph marks display as ¶ symbols:

Figure #: Blabla ¶ -- Paragraph mark
more text here¶

Select the paragraph mark and format it as hidden (Font tab of the
Format | Font dialog box). When you hide nonprinting marks (for
example by clicking the ¶ button again), text will appear to be in one
paragraph:

Figure #: Blabla more text here

On the Print tab of Tools | Options, make sure that the "Hidden text"
option is cleared, and the document will print as shown above.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Max" wrote in message
Hi there,

hope one can help me out with the following:

I have a doc in which I want the next caption under a figu

"Figure #: Blabla [bold]; further
decsription.......[normal]..............."

but in the table of figures I only want th efollowing to be

seen:

"Figure #: Blabla"

followed by the page number, but without the further

description!

How can I do this without having to put the description on th

enext
line or
something like that? Would help me a lot!

regards, Max

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Max Max is offline

Thanks Stephan! Does the trick exactly! only thing is that the document
changes shape when (de)selecting the ¶ button, but that is just a matter of
getting used to it, i guess...

Regards,

Max

"Max" wrote in message
Hi there,

hope one can help me out with the following:

I have a doc in which I want the next caption under a figu

"Figure #: Blabla [bold]; further
decsription.......[normal]..............."

but in the table of figures I only want th efollowing to be

seen:

"Figure #: Blabla"

followed by the page number, but without the further

description!

How can I do this without having to put the description on th
enext
line or
something like that? Would help me a lot!

regards, Max

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Indeed, the fact that nonprinting marks change the appearance of the
document might be a bit annoying, but remember that Print Preview will
always show the document correctly, assuming that "Field codes" is
cleared on the Print tab of Tools | Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP