Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default How to Make Styles Appear in the Gallery

Some features require a lot of testing before we grasp them fully.

On the other hand, one could argue that anyone who understood templates in
earlier versions really doesn't need style sets.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daddy" wrote in message
Yes, I am saying that it doesn't work.

I will admit that I find the whole thing frustrating. But then, computers
are something of a hobby for me, and I enjoy learning the ins and outs.
I'll figure everything out in time. :-)

Daddy

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
If you are creating all of your style sets starting with files created in
Word 2002, that might be relevant. Are you saying that it doesn't work
correctly even if (in an example document) you follow Pam's suggestions
*exactly*?

That said, note that style sets are new to everybody in Word; it is
possible that they have bugs that are not commonly known (yet). You can
definitely avoid working with style sets (I mostly do) and make use of
templates instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daddy" wrote in message
########

"Did you add each style you want to the gallery after clearing it and
before saving the style set?"

No, I did not. I followed the procedures I described - twice - in my
post. (Created a file in W2002, opened it in W2007, etc.) I didn't invent
these procedures: I found them in an article on WinPlanet.com written by
"...a respected international journalist writing regularly for small
business and computer publications in the USA, Canada, South Africa, UK
and Australia."

########

"That indicates that those styles were saved in your quick style set.
Delete them leaving just the styles you want and save the result as a
quick style set of the same name."

If I delete from the gallery all except the styles I want, what's left
are styles that have the same name in my style set and the default style
set. Styles in my style set - like List Bullet 2 - that do not have a
default style with the same name do not appear in the gallery in the
first place.

########

"One of the other posters noted that even though you add a style to the
quick style gallery, it may not appear there unless it is used in the
document. If it does not appear in the gallery, it won't be saved to the
style set. Just another thing to check before you save a style set."

That poster missed this part of my post: "I created a sample document in
Word 2002 that included all my styles and then opened this document in
Word 2007." All of my styles were actually used in the document.

#########

I want to says thanks - sincerely - to all who have tried to help me. It
appears to me that the relationships among styles, style sets and the
style gallery are complex. For now I'll just ignore the lot and work with
the styles in my Word 2002 document. As time allows, I'll play around
with styles, style sets, recommended styles, restricted styles, style
galleries, etc. and eventually I'll get everything sorted.

Daddy

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
First, I thought you were working with new user-defined styles not
built-in
styles with new settings. So my experience with the styles being at the
end
of the gallery does not apply to your case. In fact, for your case,
you
only need to remove styles you do not want to see in the gallery.

Daddy wrote:
For example: I manually removed each style from the style gallery
(right-click Remove from Quick Style Gallery) and then selected my
style set from the list of style sets (Change Styles Style Set
[name of style]).

Did you add each style you want to the gallery after clearing it and
before
saving the style set?

Next, I manually removed each style from the gallery, then closed and
re-opened Word. Once again, the default style set appeared in the
gallery.
I selected my style set and - this is where it gets strange - styles
in
the default set with the same name as a style in my preferred style set
(e.g., Heading 1) were replaced by the corresponding style in my style
set.
The rest of the styles in the gallery were from the default style set.
That indicates that those styles were saved in your quick style set.
them leaving just the styles you want and save the result as a quick
style
set of the same name.

One of the other posters noted that even though you add a style to the
quick
style gallery, it may not appear there unless it is used in the
document. If
it does not appear in the gallery, it won't be saved to the style set.
Just
another thing to check before you save a style set.

HTH,
Pam