Jeff

Default endnotes divided by chapter

Hi

This concerns a long book manuscript. It has about 1000 endnotes, so I
would like to format them as follows:

Endnotes
Chapter 1 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.

Chapter 2 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.
and so on.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Daiya Mitchell

Put section breaks between each chapter, then set Endnotes to "end of
section" (Insert | Footnote or Insert | Reference, depending on version).

You may also be interested in this page:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

Hi

This concerns a long book manuscript. It has about 1000 endnotes, so I
would like to format them as follows:

Endnotes
Chapter 1 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.

Chapter 2 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.
and so on.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Jeff

Thank you very much.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

.. .

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

Hi

This concerns a long book manuscript. It has about 1000 endnotes, so I
would like to format them as follows:

Endnotes
Chapter 1 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.

Chapter 2 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.
and so on.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book, with
chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible. Actually, I
think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually amid the
endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings wouldn't be picked
up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which was part of what the user
wanted.

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

Hi

This concerns a long book manuscript. It has about 1000 endnotes, so I
would like to format them as follows:

Endnotes
Chapter 1 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.

Chapter 2 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.
and so on.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Jeff

That is what I wanted. I've seen it that way in some books and thought it
might be less daunting for the reader than seeing endnotes numbered into the
many hundreds. (It's a scholarly book).

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book, with
chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible. Actually, I
think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually amid the
endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings wouldn't be picked
up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which was part of what the user
wanted.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

Hi

This concerns a long book manuscript. It has about 1000 endnotes, so I
would like to format them as follows:

Endnotes
Chapter 1 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.

Chapter 2 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.
and so on.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Klaus Linke

Maybe put in cross references to the chapter headings? That's not a =
fully automatic solution, but better than typing (and checking) them =
manually.
I've never seen a book where the sub-headings in the endnote section =
appeared in the TOC, so that's probably not a big problem.

Greetings,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book, =

with
chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible. =

Actually, I
think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually amid the
endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings wouldn't be =

picked
up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which was part of what the =

user
wanted.
=20
--=20
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the =

newsgroup so
all may benefit.
=20

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

[...]

For a truly scholarly book, I suppose there's no way around traditional
endnotes, but I recently read a book that, while it has substantial
scholarly documentation (the research for the book was done on a Bunting
Fellowship at Radcliffe), has no endnote references in the text at all,
making reading a genuine pleasure. The endnotes (and they are multitudinous
and often substantive) use a page reference and a few words from the text to
establish the referenced location. I'm sure this must have been much more
difficult to accomplish, but it certainly makes for a very readable book.

"Jeff" wrote in message
.verio.net...
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

Hi

This concerns a long book manuscript. It has about 1000 endnotes, so

would like to format them as follows:

Endnotes
Chapter 1 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.

Chapter 2 and chapter title
1 note
2 note
3 note
etc.
and so on.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

TF

Suzanne

I agree with your findings too: references littering the text are quite
unnatural and ruins the readability. I rather like the way that HP
approaches this by placing small numbers (usually in 4 pt text) in the
margin and then having a huge reference section at the end of the document.

Terry Farrell

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: For a truly scholarly book, I suppose there's no way around traditional
: endnotes, but I recently read a book that, while it has substantial
: scholarly documentation (the research for the book was done on a Bunting
: Fellowship at Radcliffe), has no endnote references in the text at all,
: making reading a genuine pleasure. The endnotes (and they are
multitudinous
: and often substantive) use a page reference and a few words from the text
: establish the referenced location. I'm sure this must have been much more
: difficult to accomplish, but it certainly makes for a very readable book.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Jeff" wrote in message
: .verio.net...
: That is what I wanted. I've seen it that way in some books and thought
it
: might be less daunting for the reader than seeing endnotes numbered into
: the
: many hundreds. (It's a scholarly book).
:
: --
:
: Jeff Stevens
: Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
:
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book, with
: chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible.
Actually,
: I
: think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually amid the
: endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings wouldn't be
: picked
: up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which was part of what the
: user
: wanted.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
: .. .
: Put section breaks between each chapter, then set Endnotes to "end of
: section" (Insert | Footnote or Insert | Reference, depending on
: version).
:
: You may also be interested in this page:
: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm
:
:
: On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:
:
: Hi
:
: MacWord Tips: http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/
: What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
:
:
:
:
:

Daiya Mitchell

Oh yeah, I misread, even though I recall looking at it twice. Sorry for the
bum steer, Jeff. (I didn't see him ask for the TOC, though, Suzanne?)

Anyhow, along with Klaus, I've never seen "notes to chapter 1" as a TOC
entry so the manual solution is annoying but workable--though having "notes
to chapter 1" as a Header in the notes is very useful, and I've not managed
to get Word to do that. I find that more annoying.

On 3/27/05 3:48 PM, "Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Whether all the endnotes are smushed together at the end or separated by
chapter headings doesn't affect their numbering. More functional, but 50pps
of endnotes at the end is unavoidable.

Do you mean less daunting by hiding them all at the end rather than after
each chapter?

Suddenly I'm not sure you are asking the right questions, as our discussion
here has nothing to do with endnote numbering. You can restart numbering at
every section no matter where you put the notes.

DM

On 3/28/05 4:28 AM, "Jeff" wrote:

That is what I wanted. I've seen it that way in some books and thought it
might be less daunting for the reader than seeing endnotes numbered into the
many hundreds. (It's a scholarly book).

I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book, with
chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible. Actually, I
think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually amid the
endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings wouldn't be picked
up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which was part of what the user
wanted.

I think what Jeff is getting at is that he wants to restart endnote
numbering in each chapter so that the numbers don't get so large. But once
you do that, then you need to insert some labels so that the reader can
distinguish endnote 1 in Chapter 1 from endnote 1 in Chapters 2, 3, 4, etc.

On 3/28/05 4:28 AM, "Jeff" wrote:

That is what I wanted. I've seen it that way in some books and thought

it
might be less daunting for the reader than seeing endnotes numbered into

the
many hundreds. (It's a scholarly book).

I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book, with
chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible.

Actually, I
think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually amid the
endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings wouldn't be

picked
up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which was part of what the

user
wanted.

Jeff

Actually it was just an idea. I think I will just use standard endnotes
because that is what the publisher wants. I personaly hate endnotes and
much prefer footnotes because they are so much easier to access instead of
constantly leafing to the end of the book to read them, but the publisher
has its rules and they want endnotes .....

Thanks for all th help.

--

On 3/28/05 4:28 AM, "Jeff" wrote:

That is what I wanted. I've seen it that way in some books and
thought it might be less daunting for the reader than seeing
endnotes numbered into the many hundreds. (It's a scholarly book).

I think Jeff wants all the notes collected at the end of the book,
with chapter headings in between, and I'm not sure that's possible.
Actually, I think I tried it once--inserting the headings manually
amid the endnotes--and that part maybe worked, but they headings
wouldn't be picked up by the TOC (even if I used TC fields), which
was part of what the user wanted.

Unless you're providing camera-ready copy, make the publisher do the work.
Many publisher prefer to have the endnotes provided as a separate file (way
more work, but it fits the way they work), so make sure you find out exactly
what the publisher is looking for.

o.verio.net...