Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Aaron

Default Mail Merge Freeze

When I browse for a data source (like an Excel file with addresses) Mail
Merge freezes on my computer. It also does this if I enter addresses
manually and then continue to the next step in the Mail Merge Wizard. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled Office. Also, my data source is not that large.
What could be the cause?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

A number of people have reported similar problems recently. If you apply
Windows/Office updates automatically or regularly, could you be suffering
from the following problem? I quote Cindy Meister:

"There are massive problems with the most recent set of updates. There's a
KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165) describing a workaround
for
some of the problems. But other people are finding they need to uninstall
the updates, especially MSO06-015."

If it isn't that, which version of Word are you using?

Peter Jamieson

"Aaron" wrote in message
When I browse for a data source (like an Excel file with addresses) Mail
Merge freezes on my computer. It also does this if I enter addresses
manually and then continue to the next step in the Mail Merge Wizard. I
have
uninstalled and reinstalled Office. Also, my data source is not that
large.
What could be the cause?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R Laimbeer

Aaron:

I think if you try Office software you will find the browse feature to drill
down through folders and files for Excel and Word will also freeze. In
additon if you use Windows Explorer it will also not display all the drives
on your PC and will only let you click on a folder and see the contents in
the right Window. I am going to try and see if the solutions in the first
response to your post will help fix the problem.