Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
squirrelly

Default Why does a space precede the name in the address block?

When I review my mailmerge document in WORD 2002, a space appears before the
recipients first name in the ADDRESS BLOCK. I have tried everything to
remove it but have not been successful. If I edit each letter I can delete
the space but I would not want to do that with a large number of letters.
Because of this space, the greeting is wrong because the name is not
recognized. I would appreciate a solution.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Generall speaking you are better off not using the Address block, although
the alternative is often more complex:

use individual fields, e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD FirstName }{ MERGEFIELD MifddleInitial \b " " }{ MERGEFIELD
LastName \b " " }

and so on.

Peter Jamieson

"squirrelly" wrote in message
When I review my mailmerge document in WORD 2002, a space appears before
the
recipients first name in the ADDRESS BLOCK. I have tried everything to
remove it but have not been successful. If I edit each letter I can
delete
the space but I would not want to do that with a large number of letters.
Because of this space, the greeting is wrong because the name is not
recognized. I would appreciate a solution.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
squirrelly

Peter, thank you for your reply. I do not understand how to do what you have
suggested. Where can I find more information so I can learn how to do this?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Generall speaking you are better off not using the Address block, although
the alternative is often more complex:

use individual fields, e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD FirstName }{ MERGEFIELD MifddleInitial \b " " }{ MERGEFIELD
LastName \b " " }

and so on.

Peter Jamieson

"squirrelly" wrote in message
When I review my mailmerge document in WORD 2002, a space appears before
the
recipients first name in the ADDRESS BLOCK. I have tried everything to
remove it but have not been successful. If I edit each letter I can
delete
the space but I would not want to do that with a large number of letters.
Because of this space, the greeting is wrong because the name is not
recognized. I would appreciate a solution.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
squirrelly

This has been an eye-opening experience. I had no idea such wonderful help
existed. Thank you so much and God Bless you.