Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alison

Default Mail Merge Number Sequencing

Is it possible to force the merge sequencing to start at a number different
from 1? For example for various memos we do at work, they begin with 1 at
the beginning of the year, and each note gets the next number. So if I want
to merge a bunch of notes to various offices, I'd like to start with the next
number in our note system, which could be 21, for example. Is there a way to
tell the merge to start at 21, for example? So far I've only been able to
get mergerec to start at 1. Thanks for your advice.

Alison Lewis
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

If the number isn't in the data source then your best bet is probably to
nest your MERGEREC field inside a formula (=) field that adds in a number
that you could supply in various ways, e.g. using a FILLIN/ASK field, one of
the built-in property fields which are easy to update using File|Properties.
You would have to know which number you wanted to start with.

e.g. { ={ MERGEREC }+{ FILLIN "Enter the first record number" \o } }

Where all the {} are the special field braces you cn insert using ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

"Alison" wrote in message
Is it possible to force the merge sequencing to start at a number
different
from 1? For example for various memos we do at work, they begin with 1 at
the beginning of the year, and each note gets the next number. So if I
want
to merge a bunch of notes to various offices, I'd like to start with the
next
number in our note system, which could be 21, for example. Is there a way
tell the merge to start at 21, for example? So far I've only been able to
get mergerec to start at 1. Thanks for your advice.

Alison Lewis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Maybe you should be using the technique in the article "Creating
sequentially numbered documents (such as invoices)" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Alison" wrote in message
Is it possible to force the merge sequencing to start at a number
different
from 1? For example for various memos we do at work, they begin with 1 at
the beginning of the year, and each note gets the next number. So if I
want
to merge a bunch of notes to various offices, I'd like to start with the
next
number in our note system, which could be 21, for example. Is there a way
tell the merge to start at 21, for example? So far I've only been able to
get mergerec to start at 1. Thanks for your advice.

Alison Lewis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alison

I've never used macros before, so I can't follow the article regarding
creating sequentially numbered documents. I tried to just paste in the
AutoNew template that the article gives into a Macro (after I clicked Create
under Macros), but I got an error. Do you have any insight on how to work
with macros?

Alison

"Alison" wrote in message
Is it possible to force the merge sequencing to start at a number
different
from 1? For example for various memos we do at work, they begin with 1 at
the beginning of the year, and each note gets the next number. So if I
want
to merge a bunch of notes to various offices, I'd like to start with the
next
number in our note system, which could be 21, for example. Is there a way
tell the merge to start at 21, for example? So far I've only been able to
get mergerec to start at 1. Thanks for your advice.

Alison Lewis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alison

I figured out a fix based on your article on the mailmerge. I just basically
merge the doc twice, saving it each time and using different sources each
time. Works...

Thanks,