Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jerkules

Default Repeat a merge if a record exists or end if it doesn't

Greetings,

I am trying to make a document in which my data source is a .txt document
generated from an access query and exported. I want the document to look at
the data source and list all of the records in the .txt document. But, when
there is no longer any records to list, I want it to stop. Right now I have
to put 40 different mrege record entires in to cover possible record entries
from the query.

Here is what I have now:

«QuestionText»
«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

From Next Record If it is just repeated so that the form is looking for
the next record. Basically if the next record answer text field has
something listed, i want the question associated with the answer and the
answer itself to come up. The Follow-up action taken/required needs to come
up when there is an answer text merged from the query. If there aren't any
more records i don't want nearly 3 pages of empty document.

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense but I can try to clarify if needed.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use a Catalog (or in Word XP and later it is called Directory) type
mailmerge main document in which you have just

«QuestionText»
«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

When you execute that merge to a new document, that information will be
repeated for each record in the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jerkules" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am trying to make a document in which my data source is a .txt document
generated from an access query and exported. I want the document to look
at
the data source and list all of the records in the .txt document. But,
when
there is no longer any records to list, I want it to stop. Right now I
have
to put 40 different mrege record entires in to cover possible record
entries
from the query.

Here is what I have now:

«QuestionText»
«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

From Next Record If it is just repeated so that the form is looking
for
the next record. Basically if the next record answer text field has
something listed, i want the question associated with the answer and the
answer itself to come up. The Follow-up action taken/required needs to
come
up when there is an answer text merged from the query. If there aren't
any
more records i don't want nearly 3 pages of empty document.

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense but I can try to clarify if needed.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jerkules

I changed the document type to a directory and deleted the fields that i
would normally have repeated, but this time it only placed 1 record in the
document, no others.

"Jerkules" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am trying to make a document in which my data source is a .txt document
generated from an access query and exported. I want the document to look
at
the data source and list all of the records in the .txt document. But,
when
there is no longer any records to list, I want it to stop. Right now I
have
to put 40 different mrege record entires in to cover possible record
entries
from the query.

Here is what I have now:

«QuestionText»
«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

From Next Record If it is just repeated so that the form is looking
for
the next record. Basically if the next record answer text field has
something listed, i want the question associated with the answer and the
answer itself to come up. The Follow-up action taken/required needs to
come
up when there is an answer text merged from the query. If there aren't
any
more records i don't want nearly 3 pages of empty document.

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense but I can try to clarify if needed.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jerkules

nevermind...I just merged the data to a new document and it did what I want.
My next question: I want to place a heading on this document that only shows
once. When I put anything on the merge document, it gets repeated. How can
I make it show only once?

"Jerkules" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am trying to make a document in which my data source is a .txt document
generated from an access query and exported. I want the document to look
at
the data source and list all of the records in the .txt document. But,
when
there is no longer any records to list, I want it to stop. Right now I
have
to put 40 different mrege record entires in to cover possible record
entries
from the query.

Here is what I have now:

«QuestionText»
«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

From Next Record If it is just repeated so that the form is looking
for
the next record. Basically if the next record answer text field has
something listed, i want the question associated with the answer and the
answer itself to come up. The Follow-up action taken/required needs to
come
up when there is an answer text merged from the query. If there aren't
any
more records i don't want nearly 3 pages of empty document.

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense but I can try to clarify if needed.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Do it after executing the merge. I think fellow MVP Cindy Meister may have
some other approaches on her website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

--

"Jerkules" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am trying to make a document in which my data source is a .txt
document
generated from an access query and exported. I want the document to
look
at
the data source and list all of the records in the .txt document. But,
when
there is no longer any records to list, I want it to stop. Right now I
have
to put 40 different mrege record entires in to cover possible record
entries
from the query.

Here is what I have now:

«QuestionText»
«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

«AnswerText»

Follow-up Action Taken/Required:

From Next Record If it is just repeated so that the form is looking
for
the next record. Basically if the next record answer text field has
something listed, i want the question associated with the answer and
the
answer itself to come up. The Follow-up action taken/required needs to
come
up when there is an answer text merged from the query. If there aren't
any
more records i don't want nearly 3 pages of empty document.

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense but I can try to clarify if
needed.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jerkules

Thanks.

This is a great resource!!

"Jerkules" wrote in message
Greetings,

I am trying to make a document in which my data source is a .txt
document
generated from an access query and exported. I want the document to
look
at
the data source and list all of the records in the .txt document. But,
when
there is no longer any records to list, I want it to stop. Right now I
have
to put 40 different mrege record entires in to cover possible record
entries
from the query.

Here is what I have now:

«QuestionText»