Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
fertalib

Default Merge to E-mail embeds linked images

Hi there, i´m trying to send a mass mail as light as possible by adding
images linked to a website so that they don´t have to go embedded. I´m using
Outlook and Word 2003 (as editor).

I do manage to send individual e-mails with linked images (had to use
Microsoft Scrit Editor to edit Source HTML). However, when I send the same
mail by Mail Merge, it embedds the images making the e-mail much heavier.

I tried many configuration options, but none seemed to work.

Any clues?

Tks

Fertalib
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I'm not sure this still works, but at one time you could use a nested
mergefield like the following to achieve this effect:

{ QUOTE { INCLUDEPICTURE http://www.mysite.com/myimage.jpg
\*MERGEFORMATINET \d } }

All the {} need to be the special field braces you can insert using ctrl-F9.
That may work if you just want to send a link to a single image (i.e. all
the e-mails link to the same image). If you need each e-mail to link to a
different image, you /may/ be able to replace the URL by a mergefield
containing the URL, e.g.

{ QUOTE { INCLUDEPICTURE "{ MERGEFIELD picureURL }"
\*MERGEFORMATINET \d } }

You may also have to uncheck WOrd Tools|Options|General|Web
Options|Files|Update links on save.

Peter Jamieson

"fertalib" u21291@uwe wrote in message news:5f6a9bcef1492@uwe...
Hi there, i´m trying to send a mass mail as light as possible by adding
images linked to a website so that they don´t have to go embedded. I´m
using
Outlook and Word 2003 (as editor).

I do manage to send individual e-mails with linked images (had to use
Microsoft Scrit Editor to edit Source HTML). However, when I send the same
mail by Mail Merge, it embedds the images making the e-mail much heavier.

I tried many configuration options, but none seemed to work.

Any clues?

Tks

Fertalib

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
fertalib via OfficeKB.com

Peter, thanks for your reply. I guess something in the order of the
commands/braces is not right. Anyway I tried some combinations and it still
attaches the image. Is there any other "candidate option" to unmark?

Best Regars

Fernando

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Fertalib

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I guess something in the order of the
commands/braces is not right.

Not necessarily - it may simply not work as I expected.

Is there any other "candidate option" to unmark?

Not that I know of.

Sorry.

Peter Jamieson