Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
rbolen rbolen is offline

Default ADDING A TABLE OF CONTENT TO A PREPARED DOCUMENT

I truly tried to follow the directions to add a table of content to my
document. However, as I went to References + add text in Table of Contents,
level 1, or whichever is applicable at the time, it changes my format. Ok so
I go forward to Insert index and enter ok as the template is ok. Then I get
no information.

Is anyone available that can help me through this as I am a student and
really need some help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which format changes as you insert the table of contents? If you are
referring to the TOC entries, note that you can control their appearance by
modifying the TOC styles (TOC 1 for level 1, TOC 2 for level 2, and so on).
Also note that if your headings contain direct font formatting, that will be
reflected in the TOC. For more on TOC creation, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. For more advanced
tricks, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

Note that in order for an index to display in your document, you must mark
index entries; this is a manual task which you can do via the Mark Index
Entry dialog box (press Alt+Shift+X). When you are done, update the index
field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP