Lorena B

Default Envelope Addressing preferences

I have office pro 2002. When I use Word to address an envelope by selecting
an address from my Outlook list, one of the programs automatically inserts
the country into the address. How do I turn this feature off? I did not add
any countries to my addresses when entering addresses in my list. But the
program is adding United States of America to everything.

See "HOW TO: Modify the Layout of an Address Book Entry in Word 2000" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345. There are similar articles for
Word 95 and Word 97 but not, it seems for Word 2002 or 2003.

Unfortunately, also see "WD2002: Insert Address Button Does Not Use
AddressLayout AutoText Entry" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

"Lorena B" Lorena wrote in message
I have office pro 2002. When I use Word to address an envelope by

selecting
an address from my Outlook list, one of the programs automatically inserts
the country into the address. How do I turn this feature off? I did not

add
any countries to my addresses when entering addresses in my list. But the
program is adding United States of America to everything.

Lorena B

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I didn't realize this form of
addressing was even available. To clarify, I am going through the "Tools",
"Letters and Mailings", "Envelopes and Labels" options to address an
envelope. Word or Outlooks keeps inserting the country into the address
format. I tried the suggested fix and the next time I used "Letters and
Mailings" to address an envelope the dialogue window displayed all the
AddressLayout CODE I had entered rather than any address at all. I went ahead
and selected an address from my Outlook list and the window then displayed my
selected address STILL WITH THE COUNTRY INSERTED. I am still hopeful of a
fix. And thank-you for your effort.
Lorena

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "HOW TO: Modify the Layout of an Address Book Entry in Word 2000" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345. There are similar articles for
Word 95 and Word 97 but not, it seems for Word 2002 or 2003.

Unfortunately, also see "WD2002: Insert Address Button Does Not Use
AddressLayout AutoText Entry" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

"Lorena B" Lorena wrote in message
I have office pro 2002. When I use Word to address an envelope by

selecting
an address from my Outlook list, one of the programs automatically inserts
the country into the address. How do I turn this feature off? I did not

add
any countries to my addresses when entering addresses in my list. But the
program is adding United States of America to everything.

Did you read the articles carefully? When you create the AddressLayout
AutoText entry, it defines the format of the address that is inserted when
you use the Address Book in the Envelopes and Labels dialog. You must use
the braces (which are not field delimiters, just ordinary braces) exactly as
illustrated in the article.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "HOW TO: Modify the Layout of an Address Book Entry in Word 2000" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345. There are similar articles

for
Word 95 and Word 97 but not, it seems, for Word 2002 or 2003.

Unfortunately, also see "WD2002: Insert Address Button Does Not Use
AddressLayout AutoText Entry" at

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lorena B" Lorena wrote in message
I have office pro 2002. When I use Word to address an envelope by

selecting
an address from my Outlook list, one of the programs automatically

inserts
the country into the address. How do I turn this feature off? I did

not
add
any countries to my addresses when entering addresses in my list. But

the
program is adding United States of America to everything.

Lorena B

I'm sorry to be a pain. Yes, I do believe that I read the articles carelully.
I did use the shift and bracket keys to insert the brackets rather than
control and F9 (did not even know that F9 would produce brackets, until I
read the article). I also tried including the ENTER in my code, and just
hitting the ENTER key at those points. I can insert addresses beautifully
into my documents. However, the country still shows up when I use envelopes
and labels. Could it be an Outlook setting that is causing this? For your
reference, here is a cut and paste of the "code" that is currently in my
autotext AddressLayout entry:
{PR_GIVEN_NAME} {PR_SURNAME}ENTER
{PR_STREET_ADDRESS}ENTER
{PR_LOCALITY}, {PR_STATE_OR_PROVINCE} {PR_POSTAL_CODE}ENTER
Again, Thank-you,
Lorena B

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Graham Mayor

Try this one:

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

Note the positions of the brackets.

This should show the address as it is displayed in Outlook.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "HOW TO: Modify the Layout of an Address Book Entry in Word
2000" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345. There are
similar articles for Word 95 and Word 97 but not, it seems, for
Word 2002 or 2003.

Unfortunately, also see "WD2002: Insert Address Button Does Not Use
AddressLayout AutoText Entry" at

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Lorena B" Lorena wrote in message
I have office pro 2002. When I use Word to address an envelope by
selecting an address from my Outlook list, one of the programs
automatically inserts the country into the address. How do I turn
this feature off? I did not add any countries to my addresses
when entering addresses in my list. But the program is adding
United States of America to everything.

If you read "WD2002: Insert Address Button Does Not Use AddressLayout
AutoText Entry" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127, you'll have
learned that the button in the Envelopes and Labels dialog does not work.
You have to add an Address Book button to a menu or toolbar (the Insert menu
is a good choice), insert the address in your document, select it, and then
open the Envelopes and Labels dialog. The workaround says you have to copy
and paste, but usually just selecting the address in the document is enough
to insert it into the Envelopes dialog.

Yes, this is a kludge and a pain, but at least it works. I can't use the
address book at all any more because I don't use Outlook as my email client.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Lorena B

Sorry, it still does not work. It does successfully eliminate the country
for inserting addresses into documents. But when I open the envelopes &
labels dialogue box the autotext code you suggested is displayed in the
address window. Once I select an address from the address book. The address
shows up with the country.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See "HOW TO: Modify the Layout of an Address Book Entry in Word
2000" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345. There are
similar articles for Word 95 and Word 97 but not, it seems, for
Word 2002 or 2003.

Unfortunately, also see "WD2002: Insert Address Button Does Not Use
AddressLayout AutoText Entry" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Lorena B" Lorena wrote in message
I have office pro 2002. When I use Word to address an envelope by
selecting an address from my Outlook list, one of the programs
automatically inserts the country into the address. How do I turn
this feature off? I did not add any countries to my addresses
when entering addresses in my list. But the program is adding
United States of America to everything.

Lorena B

LOL, I had noticed that workaround and did insert the address book button
into a toolbar. I did find that if I first inserted the address into my
document, it would then properly show up in the envelopes dialogue. I was
REALLY hoping there would be a better solution. I think it would be easier to
just continue deleting the country in the envelope dialogue as it shows up. I
recently upgraded from Win98 to XP and did not have this problem in 98. In
fact what's interesting is that the addresses that I entered into Outlook
with 98 do not display the country. It is only the addresses that I've
entered since upgrading to XP that show the country.

I'm not tied to Outlook and actually use Netscape as my email program. I
have used the Outlook address book because I have not found any other address
book programs that will integrate with my wordprocessing envelope printing
features. Ironically, WP12 not only links to Outlook, but requires that I set
Outlook as my default email client. I am not willing to do that. I also have
OpenOffice 2.0 beta, but it does not seem to have an envelope feature at all.
What have you found to be the most successful alternative?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

I'm interested that you seem to be able to use the address book (Contacts)
in Outlook even with another email client set as the default. I used to be
able to do that but in Word 2003 no longer can. But I don't use the
Envelopes dialog to create envelopes; I have many envelope templates (for a
wide variety of sizes), and I also have saved envelope documents
pre-addressed to people I write often. Not the best approach for most users,
I agree, but it works for me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Lorena B

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I went out of town for the weekend. Yes, I
can access the Outlook address book from Word even though my default email
client is another program. I do have Office 2002. So the change you speak of
must have been between 02 & 03. Although it gave me trouble for awhile...I
was getting error messages but fiddled with the settings and seem to have
gotten that part cleared up. When I reformatted my computer and restored my
contacts list to Outlook, I ended up with two contact lists. For awhile I
could not access the restored one. Not sure exactly which of my fixes fixed
that one. But it is working now.
I also frequently used the Corel address book that came with WordPerfect
Suite 10. But that feature was also lost somewhere between Suite 10 & 12. It
seems we are moving backward in terms of Addressing capabilities. I believe
there would be a certain market for some good software that would integrate
addressing features. In the meantime, your solution seems like a fairly
workable one. Most of the addresses I write to are repeats, so I could
preformat envelopes and labels. Thanks for all your help!
Lorena B.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

How do I get a No. 6 3/4 envelope to print correctly? HarrietYee Mailmerge 3 May 12th 23 02:52 PM
Return Address along Left Side of Envelope Jason Roberts Microsoft Word Help 3 May 26th 05 04:48 PM
envelope won't print (but envelope address will print as a label) jerryb2339 Microsoft Word Help 1 March 29th 05 07:36 AM
Envelope Size BK New Users 2 December 17th 04 05:02 PM
Requirement for address book contact for addressing an envelope? ajsandbergjr Microsoft Word Help 5 December 11th 04 11:53 PM