MarkM

Default Printing comments without markup

I need to both track changes and insert comments in documents. However, I
only want to share the comments when I send a document to someone for review.
In Word 2000, these two features were entirely separate. Comments were marked
in the text with a symbol like [MM01] and a list appeared at the end with the
comments numbered.

Word 2002 puts comments in balloons and gives you a choice on the screen
whether to show comments, final with markup (insertions and deletions) or
original with markup. So far so good.

However, I appear to have no choice over what shows when I print a document.
I want to print only comments, but if I print "Document with markup" it
prints all of the markup.

Has anyone found a way to either a) have Word 2002+ revert back to the old
style of handling comments, or b) found a workaround to continue tracking
changes but to print only comments?

MarkM

"MarkM" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, Suzanne. I'm not sure I understand what you meant by: "In the Immediate window of the VBA editor, type:"

I created a macro with the code line and ran it, but what printed was just
all of the markup (insertions and deletions, as well as comments). It printed
it as a list completely dissociated from the text. So that didn't help.

I have figured out a workaround: Save the document to a new name. Accept all
changes. Then print it with markup. The comments alone will print because
there will be no other markup. I can then open the previous version --- that
still contains the markup --- to continue editing.

However, this is cumbersome, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks.

I just tested this and can confirm the results, which is unfortunate, as
that seemed like such a promising method.

"MarkM" wrote in message
news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This short macro was posted by some helpful soul (I didn't note whom):

In the Immediate window of the VBA editor, type:

ActiveDocument.PrintOut Item:=wdPrintComments

and click Run.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"MarkM" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

Would the following macro help?

Sub PrintCommentsWithText
Dim c As Comment
For Each c In ActiveDocument.Comments
c.Reference.InsertAfter "[" & c.Range.Text & "]"
Next c
End Sub

The macro inserts the comment text at the location of the comment in
the document. You could then print the document and close without
saving.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP