Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pip Langford

Default Blank lines

Hi

I am having trouble trying to suppress the printing of blank lines, eg one
line of address that may be missing, when printing mail merge documents. I'm
using Word 2002 but can't find anywhere to 'check a box' to stop blank lines
printing as was available in earlier versions.

If anyone can help please??
--
Pip Langford
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

If you used to use an earlier version of Word and its blank line suppression
feature,
a. it is enabled by default in Word 2002
b. if necessary, you can enable it using the old Mailmerge Helper dialog -
Tools|Cutomize|Commands, select Category "All Commands", locate
MailMergeHelper in the list of commands and drag it to a toolbar, then use
it.
c. unfortunately, Word 2002 differs from earlier Words as it does not
suppress blank lines when they are nested inside other fields such as IF or
INCLUDETEXT.

Otherwise, what fields are you using to insert your address? If you are
using an ADDRESSBLOCK field, try using the individual name/street/ etc.
fields instead.

Peter Jamieson
"Pip Langford" wrote in message
Hi

I am having trouble trying to suppress the printing of blank lines, eg one
line of address that may be missing, when printing mail merge documents.
I'm
using Word 2002 but can't find anywhere to 'check a box' to stop blank
lines
printing as was available in earlier versions.

If anyone can help please??
--
Pip Langford

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pip Langford

Thanks for your reply

That fixed the problem for me - I had to enable the old mail merge helper.

Have a good day!
--
Pip Langford

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
The Garretts

Thank you for this tip! It has been great! WE teachers HATE the new mail
merge and the students struggle with it. We have ditched the Task Pane and
have been using Word table as the data source, Mail Merge toolbar as the
guide. Now we can have the old way back again!!!
Tx Jenny