Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Going crazy Going crazy is offline

Default hyperlinks not working

I have created one word doc with multiple hyperlinks. They work.
Now I've created another doc with multiple hyperlinks and they only work the
first time. When I go back to open the hyperlink it says the address is not
valid.

What's wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Perhaps if you gave us some more information about the links that work and those that don't (eg how you're creating the links,
whether you've got a hyperlink base set, what the link paths are, etc), instead of pasting the same questions over and over again,
someone might be able to help you.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Going crazy" wrote in message ...
I have created one word doc with multiple hyperlinks. They work.
Now I've created another doc with multiple hyperlinks and they only work the
first time. When I go back to open the hyperlink it says the address is not
valid.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Going crazy Going crazy is offline

Sorry, I only posted the question one other time. I wasn't sure it went
through.

I don't know what you mean by "hyperlink base set:. I am doing the exact
same procedure as I was doing in the other document. I click insert hyperlink
either from right clicking or going to the tool bar. Then I browse to find
the file and then I insert it. I shorten the name for the entire path doesn't
show. It inserts and works. For one time only. I have inserted either a word
doc, an excel sheet, a word template or a pdf file. I used all of the same
files in the other document for which I'm not having any problem. In this new
document some links work for example a word document in one place but then
not in another. They are almost all linking back to the same drive and to the
same main folder... just different files withing the folder.

I have checked my setting and compared from one document to anther and for
the life of me I can't find anything. I would appreciate you help.

"macropod" wrote:

Perhaps if you gave us some more information about the links that work and those that don't (eg how you're creating the links,
whether you've got a hyperlink base set, what the link paths are, etc), instead of pasting the same questions over and over again,
someone might be able to help you.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Going crazy" wrote in message ...
I have created one word doc with multiple hyperlinks. They work.
Now I've created another doc with multiple hyperlinks and they only work the
first time. When I go back to open the hyperlink it says the address is not
valid.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I shorten the name for the entire path doesn't show.

That may well be the cause of the problem. What happens if you copy the working links from your other fiel and paste them into this
one?

--

"macropod" wrote:

Perhaps if you gave us some more information about the links that work and those that don't (eg how you're creating the links,
whether you've got a hyperlink base set, what the link paths are, etc), instead of pasting the same questions over and over
again,
someone might be able to help you.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Going crazy" wrote in message ...
I have created one word doc with multiple hyperlinks. They work.
Now I've created another doc with multiple hyperlinks and they only work the
first time. When I go back to open the hyperlink it says the address is not
valid.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Going crazy Going crazy is offline

No... even if I don't shorten the file path... it still only works the one
time... I have other links that I have shortened and they work ok. Also, on
the other document that I created I shortened all of the file paths and I
have no problems.

Hi,

"macropod" wrote:

Perhaps if you gave us some more information about the links that work and those that don't (eg how you're creating the links,
whether you've got a hyperlink base set, what the link paths are, etc), instead of pasting the same questions over and over
again,
someone might be able to help you.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Going crazy" wrote in message ...
I have created one word doc with multiple hyperlinks. They work.
Now I've created another doc with multiple hyperlinks and they only work the
first time. When I go back to open the hyperlink it says the address is not
valid.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Going crazy Going crazy is offline

If I copy the links into the other document they work. If I copy my links
from the other document into the current one... they work. What seems to be
happening is that in the document in which I'm having problems... if I copy a
link into the document and try it it opens.. Once I save the document and
then try and open the link again it doesn' work. It seems to have something
to do with the saving of the file... that's all I can figure out.

"macropod" wrote:

OK, but you didn't say what happens if you copy the working links from your other file and paste them into this one.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Going crazy" wrote in message ...

No... even if I don't shorten the file path... it still only works the one
time... I have other links that I have shortened and they work ok. Also, on
the other document that I created I shortened all of the file paths and I
have no problems.

Hi,

"macropod" wrote:

Perhaps if you gave us some more information about the links that work and those that don't (eg how you're creating the links,
whether you've got a hyperlink base set, what the link paths are, etc), instead of pasting the same questions over and over
again,
someone might be able to help you.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Going crazy" wrote in message
I have created one word doc with multiple hyperlinks. They work.
Now I've created another doc with multiple hyperlinks and they only work the
first time. When I go back to open the hyperlink it says the address is not
valid.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

It may be that the document has some internal corruption.

A common way of dealing with that is to insert a new paragraph at the very end of the document, copying all except that paragraph
mark & pasting the copied matrerial into a new document, which you can then save over the old one (after closing it, of course).

--

"macropod" wrote:

OK, but you didn't say what happens if you copy the working links from your other file and paste them into this one.

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Going crazy" wrote in message ...

No... even if I don't shorten the file path... it still only works the one
time... I have other links that I have shortened and they work ok. Also, on
the other document that I created I shortened all of the file paths and I
have no problems.

Hi,